Chapter 3 Part 1

When she returned the conversation had turned to goat carts, wheels, and wagon tongues. She sat quietly trying to sort it out. Kelley didn't find it so interesting and he cried to be let go of. After a moment or two Vicky was tired of wrestling the squirming child and let him go. She laughed as he toddled off to play with his sister, tumbling and several times on the way to her.

As she watched them play she grew wistful. Naomi Beth was much the same at their age. Her eyes grew moist and she blinked. She didn't want to be sad today. She reached for Quin's hand and noticed that Red and Gibson were excited about something. They excused themselves and took off at a run. Quin noticed Vicky's confused look and laughed loudly.

"What did I miss?" she wondered as the conversation hadn't made any sense since she left to chase Kelley.

"Seems those boys are going to invent a new mode of transport for you and the twins."

"Oh really?" she wondered if it had anything to do with carts, wheels, and wagon tongues.

"Yes. It will be a miniature wagon sort of like a goat cart but a little smaller. It'll have high wooden sides to keep the children inside and it will be real light weight so you can handle it. Instead of two wheels like a goat cart they will make it with four wheels, like a wagon to make it more stable. And it will have a long handle instead of a tongue so you can pull it along."

"And they are going to build this right now?" Her voice rose in disbelief. "Right this minute?"

"Why not?" Quin laughed heartily.

"You're all insane." She remarked as she began to pack up the remains of their lunch.

"I can manage without them for a day or two." Quin offered as he began to help her.

Quin fell quiet for a moment to watch her and gauge her reaction to her words. He was concerned. He knew that she clearly did not want any help around the house but she'd been so tired lately. He was around her when she carried Kelley and Ida Rose. Her energy usually waned low in mid-afternoon but this time around it seemed she never had any energy to begin with.

"And I figure it might actually help you with the twins" he said still watching her as he shook out the blanket they'd been sitting on. "...and since you won't accept any other help..."

"Quin," she began, "we've had this conversation before and you know it. I'm perfectly able to care for my own family...thank you very much."

Quin did indeed know. She remembered the eastern customs of nannies and boarding schools and she wanted none of it. Vicky no longer had the freedom to move about the way she did on the trail but she was determined to make her own way in the world.

"Is it alright if papa helps carry these rascals home?" he asked as he handed her the folded blanket to tuck into the appropriate basket.

"Of course it is." She huffed then stilled her hands before she turned slowly back toward him. "I'm sorry. It's just that...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you."

He smiled at her and held out his arms. She stepped into them and pressed her cheek against his chest. He placed a kiss on her hair. He remembered how she was when she was increasing. This scolding was a mild one. He smiled at the memories. He was a lucky man. Vicky was indeed strong and independent and he was mighty glad she'd decided to let him come along for the ride wherever life took her.

---

"No face!" Ida Rose protested as she turned her head away, "NO! NO FACE!"

Vicky laughed and held the chubby chin as she washed off the cherub cheeks with a wet cloth. Kelley never made this much fuss. He just scrunched his face up or sometimes he'd swat at Vicky's hand.