Chapter 21 part 1

This was so much harder than she thought. Bo already saw some of what these people were capable of. And if they'd found her out...

"Jeremy did work for the Union." She blurted. "The KGC...you know them?"

Bo frowned and nodded.

"I don't know much. Jeremy said I was safer not knowing. He did tell me there were very bad men that hid in plain sight. He said they were prominent and well respected men. He said they were part of a secret group that was trying to undermine the Union while funneling funds and secreting away weapons. He said they had to be stopped."

"The last man the army sent in disappeared and his family was butchered. I don't know the details but that's the word Jeremy used. Butchered. He kept talking to his contacts and learning more about this secret group and he stayed in town more and more. Then one day he was gone."

"Gone?"

"Just like that. He sold his newspaper and disappeared for two years and then I heard he..."

"And you think those people might be connected to the ones that killed Jeremy and this other man?"

"I'm not sure what to think, Bo. I only know they aren't who they say they are. They could be connected to the KGC somehow... maybe."

"Vicky, they're Union. You said the KGC killed the other man and his family. Jeremy and his first wife are dead. That officer and his wife didn't know about my sister until I told them."

"Yes, but there's something... What they said about Elizabeth...I think they know... about Jeremy and..."

"You're not making any sense."

Vicky squeezed her eyes shut and swallowed hard.

"Jeremy was my first husband. I'm Elizabeth. I'm Victoria Elizabeth. There is no twin sister. It's a long story but it was all done to protect us...me and—"

"And the twins!" Bo sighed and slouched back into his chair.

"Now it makes sense." He said after a few minutes of silence. "Jeremy's last note..."

"Oh." He sat up again. "Janelle."

"Bo, Don't..." Vicky cringed. "Don't hate him."

"Hate him?" Bo was surprised. "I told you how it was. But it was worse than that really. Every time I see Little Quin I am reminded how close I came to never knowing him...Jeremy..."

Bo leaned forward and took her hand.

"You know they never...that he never...I mean."

"You mean...?"

"It was still too soon after the ...well what happened to her. It took her weeks before she let him even touch her hand. By the time we left again she hadn't even allowed him kiss her goodbye."

"Well, I suppose that's some comfort." She shrugged. "I was a little put out to hear he'd left me heavy with our first child to go off and..."

"We both know better." Bo squeezed her fingers gently and sighed. "So...you think the visitors might be the K—them?"

"Yes...Maybe? What are we going to do?"

"I tell you what we're going to do. We're going to march back there as though nothing's amiss. I'm not leaving your side." He stood and held out his hand to help her up. "It will be alright."

"Thank you, Bo. I've kept it inside for so long." She brushed at imaginary crumbs on her skirt before she looked up at him again. "I trust you to keep it a secret. No one can ever know. Just in case...well..."