Chapter 2 Part 1

Vicky rolled out of bed and groaned as her feet hit the floor. Her stomach was not settling well. Probably something she ate. She set the twins into their chairs and set their breakfast in front of them. While they made a mess of it, she finished the mending from last week's wash. The three soldiers would be by later. She lost herself to her work until a little pixie voice called to her.

"Mama Out?" Kelley called.

She smiled as she set aside her work and went to clean up two babies. She was nearly finished cleaning up Kelley when a knock sounded. She kissed his little nose and he giggled.

"I'll be right back."

"Knock Knock" Ida rose sang out making her brother giggle. "Knock Knock."

She was smiling as she opened the door.

"Red! Gibson!" she gestured for them to enter. "The major isn't here but you're welcome to come in."

"We came to see the babies." Red took off his cap and turned it nervously in his hands as his blush turned his skin bright red.

"The major thought as how you might could use a hand with them while you do the washing today."

"Well, I'm grateful." She laughed. "I hope you tucker them out plenty so we'll all sleep tonight."

As she walked back toward the kitchen she saw the smashed food mess they made. Her stomach lurched and she breathed slowly to keep from being sick again.

---

It was a grateful mama that answered the door around supper time. Red and Gibson carried two sleeping babies.

"We've already fed them." Red promised as he stepped past her.

"And we done like you said. We tuckered them...but good!" Gibson laughed softly so as not to wake them.

They hardly stirred as they were moved to their beds. Vicky thanked the boys and waved as they left. She sighed and leaned against the door as she closed it behind her. She blew a stray hair out of her face and pushed away from the door. Her stomach hadn't settled at all she thought as she shuffled around dousing lights and climbed into bed exhausted.

Vicky heard the soft shuffle of Quin's clothes as he came into the room. She smiled. The tell-tale click of his boots on the hardwood floor meant he was in his stocking feet. She didn't move as he rustled out of his clothes and climbed into bed. He cuddled up behind her and slipped his arm around her waist and she sighed. As his hand settled on her belly her eyes flew wide open.

Her monthly...oh! Her mind tried to rationalize...there was no one to help now and there was all the extra stress and work from relocating...but her heart knew. Finally she compromised. Her courses were due again soon and if she missed it this time she would know it was NOT stressing but rather a blessing that delayed it. She wiggled into Quin and drifted off with a smile.

---

Vicky awoke and stretched. For a moment she felt fine. She blinked the sleep from her eyes and lay there a moment. She felt absolutely fine! She sat up and swung her legs off the bed. As soon as her feet hit the floor the urge to be sick overwhelmed her. She launched herself for the bucket she kept nearby and barely made it. She sighed as she wiped her mouth and stood.

Oddly enough, by the time she'd dressed and cleaned up the mess she felt fine. Cautiously she dressed. She took care of the twins and was just settling down to take care of some mending when a knock sounded. A young soldier she didn't know was at the door.