chapter 14 part 1

February was such a short little month squished between the dead of winter and the birth of spring. It was an unpredictable mix of both seasons, often in the same day. As if summoned by her thoughts a cold breeze stroked her arms, leaving gooseflesh in its wake. Tugging her shawl tighter about her shoulders she disturbed the kitten on her lap.

It was the little barn kitten with the odd eyes. She stroked his soft fur and he stretched his chin appreciatively as he purred loudly. The little guy was growing so fast. She glanced about and noticed a pile of sticks where the twins were playing on the hardpan. Curious, she went for a closer look. It was a little log house!

No doubt Reuben helped, but goodness to think her babies were building houses! How fast they were growing! Suddenly gripped by an enormous yawn she decided on a nap. In those moments just before deep sleep, when a body is more asleep than awake she wondered about that letter. What did they know of Jeremy and why had they not replied?

Three days later Vicky was surprised to hear the dogs sounding the alarm. Usually the men knew about visitors before the dogs did. As she tossed the dishrag on the table and reached to untie her ribbons she laughed aloud. Arrow Q was locked down tighter than the capital and she doubted the president had as many body guards as she did.

Reuben burst through the door at a dead run and caught her "mother" look. He stopped running and gulped back the shout he was about to let loose. With a sheepish grin he shrugged.

"Sorry Ma. Strangers are coming. Will sent me to ask you to wait near the house. He's got the rifle and he's heading to meet them at the gate."

"Thank you Reuben. Will you mind Ida Rose and Kelley? They're still eating so you shouldn't have any trouble."

"You want I should keep the rifle handy?"

"No. I don't think it's necessary this time. I'll have my pistol and I'm sure there are more rifles trained on our visitors than are needed. If won't dare try anything." She smiled. "That is if they don't turn around and run the other way!"

Reuben laughed at her joke and headed for the cupboard in the corner.

"Ma?" He called over his shoulder as he reached for the door.

"Yes, you can have a couple of cookies." She smiled indulgently. "There's cold milk in the pitcher. I just brought it in."

"Thanks Ma!" he reached for the jar. "I'll make sure the sibs get one too."

Vicky chuckled as she stepped out onto the porch as she thought back to last month.

Why do you call them THE SIBS?

He shrugged. Well, we're siblings...and there are two of them.

As she stepped to the edge of the porch and leaned on the post her fingers curled around the handle of her pistol. Despite what she'd told Reuben, one couldn't be too careful these days. A buggy jounced down the lane toward the gate. A woman clad in bright yellow with a parasol sitting next to a larger figure with dark trousers and a white shirt. Was that a dog in the back?

Self-consciously she tugged down her shirttails. She was in her fifth month now and her waist disappeared long ago. She'd taken to wearing work-a-day skirts pulled up high over her stomach and once more she'd taken to wearing Quin's shirts. There was little comfort to be found in these advancing months. But this time she didn't care, not so long as the babe was born healthy.

Vicky pulled her thoughts back as the wagon pulled to a stop. A tall, rather handsome gentleman climbed down and lifted a child from the back. He was a cute little boy dressed in a white shirt with suspenders holding up his knickers. His cap sat crookedly on a mop of dark hair. He held a scruffy looking teddy bear and peeked shyly at her from behind the gentleman's leg.