Sixty-Eight

-Nate POV-

A month passed by.

Nothing had changed. Nothing had improved. Things just stayed the way they were.

It made me sick.

I stumbled around the club blindly, filled with alcohol and weed. It was euphoric and helped numb the fucked up lifestyle I'm currently living.

Here and there girls threw themselves at me but it was disgusting. None of them could even get my attention. Because there was one woman on my mind. If I couldn't have her...I wanted nobody else.

"Skate! Yo man..this is the fifth time you're here this week." The club owner said as I sat at the bar.

I chuckled. "Thinking I should just move in."

The bartender gave me the usual and I downed it, some of the liquor spilling down my cheek. I didn't bother to clean it up. Didn't give a shit.

"Have you been here all day?" He sat down beside me.

I gave him a look. "Since...Thursday. I think." I hiccuped.

The guy raised a brow. "Since yesterday bro! Where's your wife at? You gotta get home and sober up."

"What's the point?" I laughed bitterly and raised my hand for a other drink.

He stood up. "I'm calling your wife. This isn't normal Skate."

"She won't come. She ain't got no more love for me." I shrugged. "No more love. I bet she fucking my best friend."

The club owner shook his head and grabbed my phone from my pocket. I was about to protest when the drink was placed in front of me. It seemed more appealing that arguing.

So I downed it. It seered my throat which felt so good.

"Tori's on her way." He patted my shoulder like I was some kid.

I scoffed. "Whatever man. Another one yo! Keep em coming!"

I laughed. Downed a drink.

More laughing and drinking.

Some more smoking.

It took away all the pain. And for the first night I felt so care free - maybe this would be my life from now on.

"Another drink!" I collapsed at the bar thirty minutes later.

The bartender slid my usual. I was about to pick it up when a manicured hand yanked the glass out of my hand - some of the contents spilling.

"Are you stupid?" The familiar voice made me keep my eyes fixed on the bartender.

I closed my eyes. No way she actually came. What for?

"I'm perfectly fine." I shot back and reached for the glass.

"You clearly aren't." Tori snapped and slid the glass away, behind her on the counter. "Come on, let's go."

I kept my eyes away from her. I couldn't look her in the eyes. Couldn't bear to let her see the pain in mine.

"Nate." Tori rested her hand on my shoulder. She squeezed a little. "Please, let's go."

I gave in. Maybe because I was so drunk I really needed some sleep or maybe because I assumed she would be taking me to our home. That she would be staying too. That's why I was so willing.

Turns out, she had come alone - without Sammy. I preferred that because I would have bust him again.

Tori drove a car. It was Sammy's but I was too surprised and drunk to even question it. We weren't together so what right did I even have?

A few minutes later we were outside our house - or my house, rather.

-Tori POV-

It was almost 2 a.m and I had just pulled up at Nates house. It was strange to think that I once lived here. It seemed like a lifetime ago.

"Come on." I mumbled and got out.

Nate managed to get out of the car. But his eyes were half closed and he stumbled as he shut the car door.

"God." I whispered and caught his arm before he hit the pavement. My heart was pounding - obviously I still cared for him.

Nate grunted as I steadied him and slung his heavy arm over my shoulders. He reeked of alcohol and weed. I was mad at him for behaving like this but I felt like I couldn't tell him what to do either.

So I helped him into the house and closed the door behind us. It was a mission to get him upstairs to the room we once shared.

Everything was still the same. Maybe more messier but I felt a twinge of nostalgia.

"Almost there." I whispered and swung our room door open. Pictures from our wedding still stood at the dress I once  used.

Finally, I helped Nate onto the bed. He was so disillusioned and off his mind that he kept murmuring under his breath.

I was about to leave when I felt sorry for leaving him like this. So I took off his kicks and set them aside. I shrugged his hoodie off and then reached over to pull one of the sheets over him.

In the process of that, Nate clutched my waist with his hands which was weird since my belly knocked his. It was more funny than anything.

"Nate." I tried to pry him away.

He pulled me closer and sat up on his elbows so our faces we close. He was still drunk - but he was aware of me.

"I miss you so much." He whispered and cupped my cheek with his hand. A warm and burning sensation ran through me like it was the first time he touched me.

"Please..." I shook my head.

Nate gazed at me. His dark eyes were so shameful and needy. Probably just like mine were.

"Come back to me." He said. "Please, I need you. I need you so much."

A tear fell down my cheek. His thumb ran across the wet trail on my face. I covered his hand with both of mine and closed my eyes. The feeling was too good to pass.

I missed it. I longed for it.

"Please." Nate urged, his thumb now ran across my lips. My heart jolted and my body responded to that one on its own.

It seemed to have woken my senses and I took a step back. Nates hand slowly slipped from my face and waist as I moved away.

"Get some sleep." I kissed his forehead gently.

Then I left.