Forty-Nine

-Tori POV-

My own classes began the day after Nate left to New York for a month. I had taken up literary courses - having developed a feel for writing and the like. I figured I could pass time and find a career based on that.

Maybe teaching? Tutoring? College lecturing? Something.

"Hello." I answered my phone the next morning. It was 10 a.m and the clouds had settled in - promising rain.

"T-girl." A familiar voice boomed, a smile on my face already.

"Sammy! Where have you been in this life?" I asked immediately. "You didn't tag along on family vacay, telling us you were with some girl."

"Truth is, I was with some girl." Sammy laughed on the other end of the call.

"Or girls."

"Girl." Sammy insisted. "Just one. But that ship sailed without me - apparently I'm not serious enough in life for an adult relationship."

I gasped dramatically. "She actually said that? How dare she make such crazy assumptions."

"I know right?" Sammy scoffed. "These girls don't appreciate me like you do Tori."

"I'm all about appreciation." I sighed. "Is this why I'm being called extremely early on the lousiest Cali morning?"

"Half-correct." Sammy said. "But I just wanted to check up on you a little bit."

I felt the familiar pang in my stomach return.

"I'm not going to jump off the roof just because my husband is away for a month." I said in a monotone.

Sammy chuckled. "I'm making sure you aren't cheating while he's away."

I laughed.

"Kidding." Sammy added. "But not about checking up on you...I think I know you well enough by now to know you always habor things and feelings."

"That does not mean I'm wallowing in pain now?" I said looking down at my bucket of ice-cream and the marathon of Harry Potter that was about to be binge watched.

"I'm not Nate." Sammy said. "You don't have to pretend to be okay with any of this or whatever."

"Its not even about being okay with it Sammy!" I groaned and finally let my frustration boil over. "Its the fact that I dont want him gone half of the time."

"You'll be with him half of the time if he's away." Sammy offered.

"And if I can't be? What if I was pregnant or something?"

"What? You're pregnant?"

"No!" I laughed. "Stay focused Sam. The point is that I wanted to talk about this before but he left on short noticed - I can't do much."

"You can tell him." Sammy said. "There is such a thing as Skype?"

"And ruin his whole time with my delayed communication skills, not to mention the misunderstandings?" I said bitterly. "I'm not going to confront when he's miles away - it's too depressing."

"Alright." Sammy said. "I agree - which is strange but I see your point. There's no use in upsetting each other because so much could happen."

"Exactly." I sighed. "You wanna come over and hang out?"

"Have you cooked anything because I'm starving!"

I laughed. "Its 10 a.m!"

Sammy groaned. "I'll bring pizza over then."

"Oh and some choc ice cream." I asked sweetly. "Kind of finished mine."

"You got it T-girl." Sammy sniggered.

I groaned. "See you in a few Sammy boy."

-

"I've decided that you need a nickname for me!" Sammy sang as he stepped into the living room. I shut the door behind him.

"You have?" I raised a brow.

"Sammy boy is too weak." Sammy said setting down our food on the coffee table. "We need something with more sass."

"Queen Sammy boy?" I offered with a small grin on my face.

Sammy shrugged. "That could actually be pretty dope."

I chuckled and flipped on some Merlin for Sammy and I which had been the only series we both loved. There was no way he would stay for Teen Wolf or The Vampire Diaries.

"You know, I gotta say you're probably my best friend right now." I said as season three began playing.

Sammy perked on the seat beside me, we weren't even touching so there was no reason to feel guilty. Sammy had become a second brother. His legs were strewn across my lap.

"What about Jade?" Sammy asked with a small grin. "The last time I saw the girl was - "

" - my wedding." I finished.

"You don't say?" Sammy said with a small 'hmm.'

"I believe she literally hates me and I can't think of a reason why." I said.

"Maybe you should reach out - " Sammy began just as a knock at the door had interrupted us.

Sammy swung his legs off my lap so I could get up. "I'll get it." I said.

"I should come." Sammy said getting to his feet too. "Maybe someone wants to kill us."

I rolled my eyes. "And a murderer would knock first?"

"Element of surprise Tori." Sammy mumbled as I yanked open the door and my jaw dropped.

"Hey." Jade waved casually with a small apologetic grin on her face.

I raised brow my brow. It was almost like magic that Jade appeared after Sammy and I had just mentioned her. I stared in wonder.

"Can we talk?" Jade finally let her shoulders sag. "There's so much - "

"Woah! Wait." I said folding my arms in defence. "Where the hell have you been all this time? And now you're suddenly just showing up?"

Jade sighed. "I've just been going through some stuff - "

"You don't get to make us feel bad for you Jade, after you didn't bother to even return my texts." I raised my voice a little.

Tears formed in Jades eyes but I was too betrayed to let that phase me. A best friend wouldn't do this. Sammy nudged me discreetly. "I think Nash and I had plans to shoot hoops."

I gripped his arms tightly. "No, you're not leaving."

"Tori - " Jade began.

"I'll let you come in and explain - I guess I'm the only friend who actually cares here." I said and let the door open for Jade.

"Thank you." Jade exhaled and walked in with Sammy giving me wide eyes and a dumbfounded expression.

"Better be good." I mumbled and shut the door.