The Try-out

Maine's POV
I was surprised that Mr. Faulkerson and Kuya Nico act towards each other as if they have been friends for years and not just today... Nagulat ako nung pagpasok namin na parang may naabala kaming seryosong pag-uusap pero mas ikinagulat ko is nung nagpaalam agad na umuwi without waiting for RJ. 

Speaking of RJ, truth be told he was a gracious owner and can capture his patrons just by smiling and yet he looks  like stiff when it comes to talking to a customer... I find it awkward and hopefully I can pinpoint that to him... This will at least lessen his stiffness and learn to be more sensitive to the customers... Customers wanted to be heard not just to be listened... After the event though, when their transaction was done and he was paid in cash... I was able to see him elicited a sigh of relief before I go back to the kitchen... And it was confirmed when I heard that his employee's salaries sometimes is delayed... I can see that there was a problem but what it is, that I don't
know... I just wish I could at least help all of them since everyone has been very good to me... I can't feel any pretensions coming from them since first hour of being with them...
And I was grateful that they invited me for dinner, me and RJ.  I was thrilled that I will be able again eat with my hands... The last time I did that was way back my second year in college... The time when we forgot to bring utensils on an outing... We tried and enjoyed it...
Medyo nagulat lang ako kasi tinanong pa talaga ni RJ kung marunong ako magkamay samantalang siya itong super awkward! Hahaha... I can see laughter in our table and it uplifted me... I can see true people and with that I asked RJ to pay the food using my service fee as chef for him... He agreed... After dinner, we go our own way and go back to the hospital and I was really tired and sleepy by then... I am grateful that RJ allowed me to took a nap and I was touched as well... I can sense sincerity when he apologized and thanked me for being his hero of the day... I smiled...

"Earth to Meng? Earth to Meng?"
"Ohhhh, sorry Kuya medyo lutang na ako!"
"Oo nga, Nico! Pagod na talaga si Maine! Nakaidlip nga sa kotse yan on the way here e!"
"Kuya, can we discuss this tomorrow morning? Can I at least take a nap? I'm too sleepy for this e!"
"No, I want this out now coz you both are the only people who could help me!"
"But..."
"No, buts... You both sit there..."

He is pulling something like a crumpled paper on his side of the bed... It was a white envelope, with a letterhead of a company? What is that?

"Mendoza, you are asking me if why am I so excited before this accident happened... And this letter here is the reason why" and he passed the envelope to Maine...

Maine got the envelope and read:

Mr. Nicolas Mendoza,

Good day!

We are writing you this letter with regards to an open invitational race we will have at Subic this coming MAY 2016... We have seen footages of you racing with your colleagues and we are amazed on how you handle your races. We are inviting you over to join our event for a chance to race in JAPAN'S Asian Formula Three Championship in 6 months. 
Please do not hesitate to keep in touch once you have decided.  We are hoping to see you here in the qualifiers.  Contact details are provided above on the letterhead. Looking forward to see you soon...

Good luck!

Mr. James Ayamoto
Organizer

"Kuya, eto na yun pangarap mo! Ang galing! Congratulations!"

"Thank you! Tama, Mendoza sino ba ang hindi ma-eexcite sa opportunity db? And thank you for the vote of confidence by the way" he said chuckling...
"Dude, congrats! Ikaw na talaga!"

"Thanks, RJ! So that is my current dilemma... The race at Subic are scheduled on May... That's three months from now... And..."

"And, what will be the problem then?"
Kuya raised his hands, before it sunk on to my senses...

"Oo nga pala, Kuya no? After 3 months pa bago maremove yung cast mo. So meaning hindi ka makakasali sa event this year.  Next year ka na lang ulit mag tryout!"

"Mendoza, you know that I cannot let this pass on kasi next year baka hindi na ako mapansin! So meaning if I can pass this tryout I could still have practice before the Asian Formula in Japan..."

"So where does that leave us, Nico?" I have an idea with the rules but I don't know what's his plan...

"I know I am being selfish, Mendoza! But you know how important it is for me and I cannot pass this on! Hear me out first, please!" He begs of Maine...

My eyes are bulging now and I can definitely see his point now...

"Mendoza, I want you to represent me at the race in Subic! Driver change is allowed so long that he/she can drive the same machine that will be used in case we passed this tryout!" He give it in one go!

I can see Maine's eyes are turning bright upon hearing it... Oh no!

"I saw how you handled my car very well, in fact you have surpassed other racer on that track that day! The way you controlled the car its as if the car itself is part of your body! Can you help me please?"

"Kuya, you know that that you can definitely can count on me but will it affect your record if I did a mistake on this?" She wanted to clarify...

"I only have one shot for this... Needless to say, if you fail then I will not be able to go to JAPAN for the continuation of the league.  But to tell you honestly, I don't care if you win or not, I just need to at least do it and try my luck at Japan if ever we qualify on this..."

"So if I fail you, its as if I fail your dreams as well?" She paled a little...

"Mendoza, I am not here to pressure you, I just wanted you to represent my self here... To make everybody know that a Mendoza never back out regardless of the circumstances." Kuya said...

"OK, let me clear things up with you, when I joined this, I have already set my mind for the sponsors... And good thing was that the mother company has approved to be one of the sponsors with a promise that if I will not continue this, I will need to pay them a whooping 2million... If you notice, there are some posters on the stations all over the world promoting the race and as you have business background, it is clear to you that they are bleeding money here.  And 2million is not a small price to pay regardless if I have the money or not!"