24

"Talk to me, tell me what you're thinking" Justin says as we're sitting on the sofa in the living room. He's not been giving me much space lately, well since I mentioned Harry actually, but I don't really mind because being on my own is hard at the moment so any company will do. I know he misses his parents sometimes too so I'm sure company is good for him as well.

"I don't really want to, can we just leave it?" I sigh loudly, sounding more annoyed then I actually am.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound pushy," he says softly. I exhaled loudly and lean on the side of the sofa, focusing on the tv.

"You aren't pushy. I'm just touchy about everything." I sigh.

"Well, I'm here. If you ever need anything, all you have to do is ask." He smiles sweetly and moves toward me on the sofa.

"Look, I asked you to go out with me, and you said no. I understand why now, and you're right. I'd be a jerk to assume you could just move on so soon, and yes I've been a player in my time, but Id never, ever forced myself on a girl, and I'm not about to start now so I'll wait for you. I can't promise you I won't do anything dumb, but I'll promise to be honest with you if you'll do the same with me." He says it how it is, loud and clear, he continues on, "So here is what I need to know, Jayde. Do you want to go out with me? Or are you saying no because you're afraid of moving on and feeling what you did for him, for someone else?" The truth is I'm more afraid that I'll fall for him and he'll turn out to be exactly who I thought he was when I first came here, Harry's killer. I can't say that though.

"Why do you want to go out with me so badly? It doesn't make any sense. I'm not the type of girl you're used to being with." I swallow nervously, trying to think of any old excuse.

" I want to date you because you're the first person I've really noticed since my parents died. For the first time in a long time I want to do something besides get completely hammered. Is that so bad? It's a date. One date. If you like it, we'll have more. If you don't, we won't. I just want you to give me a chance before you decide I'm not worth it."

Wow.

I stand up and walk away from the sofa, running my fingers across the smooth surface of the dining room table.

"Will you let me pick the time and place?" I ask. He grins widely at this.

"Girl, you can do whatever you want as long as you say yes."

"Then yes. I'll go out with you." I smile, rolling my eyes playfully.

"Finally," he says, looking toward the ceiling and mouthing a thank you. I glance at him and we both start laughing.