22

"See? It wasn't that bad."

"Okay okay, it wasn't that bad" I admit. I've actually had a really nice day. "So tell me more about you." I say as we sit back down on the sandy beach.

"What would you like to know?" He asks, turning his whole body to face mine.

"Hmm, what kind of childhood did you have?"

"A normal one really, until my mum and dad ended up in a car accident and died at the scene." He looks down at the sand and plays with it, avoiding my eye contact. So far I've hardly seen an aggressive side and now I'm seeing a sensitive side. Either he's an amazing actor or this isn't the right guy.

"I'm so sorry" I say sympathetically.

"Don't be, I've lived by myself here ever since, it's my life now, I'm used to having no parents."

"How old were you?"

"19." He smiles.

"So it was 4 years ago." I ask, trying to work out the maths.

"Yeah, on my 22 birthday it will be."

"When's that?" I ask, trying to lighten the mood.

"Next month." He smiles. That must be awful, trying to celebrate your birthday when you know your parents died on that day. I grab his hand and hold it tight.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe they have the wrong guy. But why have they suspected this guy? That's what I want to know.

"What about you? What kind of childhood did you have?" He asks, sounding interested.

"Pretty normal really, I'm an only child and my parents now live in Thailand, I try to see them as much as I can but its hard , you know?"

"Why didn't you move there with them?"

"I had a-" I stop myself before I finish my sentence. Should I tell him I had a boyfriend who died? Or am I supposed to keep that secret? Oh fuck it.

I close my eyes "I had my boyfriend, but he was killed a few months ago. That's why I'm here, I needed a fresh start. I need to move on and it's hard when everything around me reminds me of him. But Thailand is just a little too far for me." 

"I'm so sorry Jayde, that's awful." He says, sounding seriously sincere.

"Thank you. My mum came home when it happened so I was glad to see her" I smile, resting my head on his shoulder. I can't help but feel a comfort in knowing he's here with me. I really don't think he killed Harry, I don't think he had anything to do with it.