Chapter 35

It had been a week since I told Austin that I was in love with him. And that means that it was one week closer to Austin and the rest of them moving to Miami. I mean who knows, maybe my mom would be so sad that Rob was leaving and she’d pick up and move with them.

She was actually handling it pretty okay. I mean I did call it. She did cry when Rob first told her. I felt bad for my mom, but I didn’t understand why Rob means so much and Austin means so little to her.

I figured I’d ask her.

“Mom?”

She looked away from the TV and over at me. “Yes”

“What makes you like Rob so much?”

“He’s a good boy, and he has always been here for you, and I do mean always. Since you were born you’ve been friends.”

“But I’ve been friends with Austin that long too. Why don’t you like him as much as Rob?”

“Because you’re dating him.” She stated bluntly.

“What about before we dated?”

“He was an amazing boy, and I had hoped you would’ve dated one of those boys.”

“Well. Why does dating Austin change how you feel about him?”

“I’m scared he is going to break your heart.”

“Why?”

“Don’t get me wrong, I really do love Austin and he is a great kid but I’m a mother. I don’t want you to get hurt by him. I see the way you guys look at each other; it’s the look of lust.”

I blushed. “Mom, I do not lust for Austin.”

“Yes you do.”

“Mom, I really like him, and I have for a lot longer than you think.”

“I just don’t want him to break your heart. I remember how much you hurt after Tyler.”

“Yeah, but who was there to comfort me? Austin.”

“I know that you think you are going to spend the rest of your life with Austin, but I don’t think you are. I think you and Austin won’t last a few more months once he moves to Miami, and you wanna know why I think that?”

I was getting angrier by the minute. “Why?”

“He is going to be in Miami, there are beaches and girls. He is a teenage boy. He will look at other girls and probably need you. But you won’t be there and he’ll have to find someone else to help him. On top of that, he is becoming famous. He will have millions of girls throwing themselves at him. And he is going to get super busy, so all the time you spend talking to him is going to decrease by almost fifty percent. He’ll forget to call you on the night of your birthday or anniversary, or he’ll just be too busy to even talk. I know I may seem like I hate Austin, but I don’t. I just don’t want to see you get hurt again. Long distance relationships are hard.”

“So much for the ‘let’s move to Miami with them’ idea.” I wanted to cry, but she did make one good point. There will be millions of girls who will throw themselves at him. I just couldn’t believe that my mom thought so low of the boy I thought the world of. He is my everything.