Chapter Fifty-Three

2 June 2026 - Tuesday

Burkesville, Kentucky

Christmas the following year was not nearly as stressful.  Dante attended again, he’d proposed to Niah on her birthday two months before, and she had accepted. 

Angellica was more than delighted that one her children had actually done it properly.  Dante had come to them a few weeks earlier and asked their permission.

They of course, had agreed and he’d proposed accordingly on her birthday presenting her with his grandmother’s engagement ring.

Lucy and Gemma joined them for Christmas and were planning to fly out to New Zealand before the new year to spend a couple of months with Michael and his new wife.  He had not met his Grandchildren and was extremely excited.

Caelum and Ella had a pregnancy scare earlier in the year, but it had turned out to be kidney stones.  They’d been very relieved.  Ella was nearly forty and was not keen on the idea of more children.  Her painting had progressed to professional and she sold paintings for thousands of dollars all around the world.

Azhure and Lucien were busy with the transport company and their four children.  She’d started her studies again and was half way through her final year to become a fully qualified social worker.

Angel and Bree were growing separate from each other.  Angel had shown an interest in motorbikes and Bree had turned to art.  Both showed a massive amount of aptitude for each of their chosen subjects.  The only downside with the twins were the older they got; the more they looked like Eliot.  Thankfully neither of them showed any of his terrifying traits.

Angellica walked to the barns and spotted her son in with the latest bunch of yearlings.  They were heading up to get the last of the summer bands for inspection and sale.  Caelum stood with his back to her, instructing Cassidy in her riding lesson.  She was laughing and not really listening as the pony trotted bouncily around the corral.

 “Heels down.”  Caelum snapped at his daughter.  Bear panted next to him.  At two years old the dog had grown big enough for the younger ones to ride.  

 “How’s it going?”  She asked.

 “The girl has no sense of co-ordination.”  He moaned quietly.

 “She’ll get it.  Eventually.  Just let her enjoy it.  There’s no point in pushing at her.”  Angellica suggested.

Caelum shrugged and absently scratched at Bear’s ears.  “When are you heading off?” 

 “Within the hour, I’m just about to get The Colonel ready.”

Caelum laughed.  “Mum, surely you aren’t taking him up there.”  He looked down at her.

Angellica frowned at him.  “Why not?” 

 “I’m only thinking of your safety.”

 “Safety?  You know better than anyone that I can take a bit of danger.  I’m harder to hurt than you guys all think.”

Caelum hooked his arm around her.  “I know Mum, but well, you know.  You’re not as young as you used to be.”  He grinned.

 “I’m fifty-six.  Not ninety-six.  Thanks for the vote of confidence.”  She replied and turned out of his embrace.  “I know you mean well, but I’m sure I will be fine.”

 “I know you will be, but surely you understand where I’m coming from.”

Angellica paused,  “Yes I understand.  But you need to understand as well.”