Chapter Forty-Three

5 October 2015 - Monday

Burkesville, Kentucky

 “Mum.”

Niah shook her.

 “Mum.”

Niah gave her another shake.

 “Mum.”  She said more insistently.

Angellica grumbled from under her blanket.

 “I’m going to school.”  Niah said, lifting the blanket.  “I’ll see you later on okay.”

 “Okay sweetheart.  Have a good day.”  Angellica mumbled.

Niah dropped the blanket and closed the bedroom door.

Angellica sighed under her blanket.  It was too hot and she couldn’t breathe.  But she didn’t want to get up.  She didn’t want to face the empty paddock behind her house.  She didn’t want to do anything except sleep.

She’d given permission for Daphne to euthanize her horse the day after his fall, he’d developed a fever and he looked worse for wear.

She’d dug the massive hole with her tractor and put him in herself.

She’d filled the hole and she’d placed a cross to mark his grave.

He’d been gone for 2 weeks now and she still cried when thinking about him.

Tears soaked into her pillow.

Her bedroom door opened.

 “Hun?”  Adam questioned.

 “Yeah.”

 “You alright?”

 “Yeah.”

 “Are you going to come to the airport to pick up the kids?”

 “Is it that time already?”  She asked, pushing the blanket off her face.

Adam nodded, he sat on the bed next to her.

 “How long until you leave?”  She pushed herself up into a sitting position.

 “About an hour.  You have time for a shower.”

She nodded and sniffed at her armpit.  “Ew, I really should.”

Adam laughed, and kissed her forehead.  “You look better today.”

She smiled ruefully,  “Liar, but thank you.”

He grinned, “I’ll turn it on for you.”

 “Thank you darling.”

Angellica hugged her daughter-in-law then grabbed her son.  “I missed you so much.”

He hugged her in return.  “I missed you too.”

 “The Admiral died.”  She said suddenly.

Caelum stepped back from her.  “What?”

 “He got a bit carried away and tried to leap a fence and I fell and he landed funny and broke his leg so we put him down the day after, now he’s buried next to his pasture.”  She blurted out in one breath.

Caelum's eyes welled up.  “Oh no.”

Angellica gave him a half smile; she managed to keep the tears at bay.

Ella gave a sniff.  She was bawling.

Angellica pulled her into her arms and Ella cried noisily against her shoulder.  Angellica rubbed her back.