Chapter Fifty-One

23 June 2024 – Sunday

Burkesville, Kentucky

Months passed, summer came and went, winter came and went and it wasn’t until the middle of summer again until Azhure had returned to her usual self after months of mourning her father.  She had tried to explain to Lucien that it wasn’t the passing of her father that had upset her.  It was the passing of what she would never have. 

All she ever wanted was a father that cared for her, a father that loved her.

He didn’t understand.

Lucien tried to help her.  He sat with her while she cried.  She never seemed to notice he was there.  She seemed alone.

Azhure managed to struggle through by herself. She made it. She pushed herself through her darkness.  She came through the other side all right.

Caelum had dealt with it in his own way.  It got shut away and he forgot about the whole situation.  His father had died.  As far as he was concerned it was that simple.  Ella had not seen any reason to tell Angellica about Caelum shutting his feelings away.  It was what he did.  She knew when the time came for him; he would let his mother know.

Angellica was aware that he had died.  Damien had been a huge part of her life, but when she’d divorced him, he’d died for her then.  She had forgiven Damien a very long time ago.  She did not mourn his death.  She didn’t need to. 

Angellica had much better things to do than dwell on the death of Damien.

She had her husband, her sixteen-year-old daughter and her twins who had just turned eight.  She had her farm to control.  Two adult children to care for and her grandchildren to spoil and love.

Lucy and Gemma decided to have a baby before they got too old.  They had found a donor.  He was a man from Las Vegas and a very successful doctor.  Gemma had flat out refused to carry their child and much preferred to take the masculine side of the parenthood. 

Lucy spoke to Angellica after the fertilised egg had settled.

 “I’m pleased that we had decided for me to go through the pregnancy.”

 “Why is that Lucy?”  Angellica asked.

 “Can you imagine Gemma with these hormones?”

Angellica laughed.

Lucy was out for her weekly visit and sitting curled into the biggest chair in the sunroom.  “Well, imagine it.  She’d be a psycho.”

 “I would hate to imagine.”  Angellica replied.  “Is Daphne letting you have time off?”

Lucy nodded, “She’s quite happy for me to have time off.  I work hard for her.  The only downside is the amount of work I’m going to have to do when I go back.  She’s not as organised as me.” 

Angellica nodded.  “I can imagine that.”

Lucy drank the last of her tea.

 “How many weeks pregnant are you?”

 “Sixteen now.  Not long to go.  There’s already a bump for us to look at.  Did I tell you about the scan last week?”

Angellica shook her head.

 “Oh.”  Lucy grinned.  “There’s two.”

Angellica clapped her hands.  “Two?  Twins?”

Lucy nodded.  “Twins for Christmas.  It’s going to be wonderful.”

 “You’re going to be very busy.”