Chapter Sixteen

29 December 1989 – Friday

Danville, Kentucky

Angellica welcomed her son to the world alone.  Caelum Cole Delaney arrived late on a Friday night, weighing 8 pound 11 ounces, while his father was away on business.  Lawrence cared for 14-month-old Azhure in the waiting room while Charlotte stayed at home. 

Lawrence had begun to spend more and more time with Angellica and Azhure while Damien was away on his business trips with Monique.  

Angellica had found out about Monique nearly six months ago when the woman herself had rung the house looking for Damien and had admitted to being his mistress for the previous year and a half.

Angellica had not been too bothered about the fact.  She wasn’t under any misconceptions that her husband did love her.  She supposed in his way he did.  However, she knew that he was married to her out of convenience of bearing him children, a warm body in the bed and a punching bag when his mood suited.  She had no wishes to leave him because the lifestyle he provided her with was comfortable and she was able to spend money as she saw fit.

She hadn’t had to deal with his mood swings for quite some time and she was enjoying where she was in life.  She knew she loved Damien.  She never doubted that.  She loved the security, the house, the ease of life.  Sure there was crap too, but it was such a minimal part of her daily life.  She barely noticed his fists or his words anymore.  She had her children.  She had everything she needed.

Damien had begun to spend more and more time with Eliot though.  That was the only thing that really bothered her.  Eliot had not come to the house at all, but Angellica knew that Eliot was away with Damien while she was in hospital giving birth to her son.  He was training to be Damien’s assistant.  Damien did not speak of Eliot while he was at home for a few days that he stayed every few months, he made love to her, and played with Azhure who was now walking and talking.

Angellica's life had settled and she didn’t wish for anything to change.  However, change did come, as it always does when one is comfortable.

Four months after Caelum was born, Angellica sat opposite a lawyer thinking he looked peculiarly familiar.  He had called her the day before, and invited her to come see him about Lawrence’s will.  

Angellica was in a state of despair.  She had gotten through the funeral of her father the week before after Lawrence had been killed by a drunk driver 500 metres away from his house after visiting Angellica.  She blamed herself for his death, because she had kept him longer than he should have stayed.  If he had left when he wanted to he would still be alive.

Her Grandmother’s death upset her most.  After fifteen years of not seeing her, Lawrence had finally arranged for his mother to visit her great grandchildren.  Angellica knew the reasons behind her Grandmother not visiting much, and that reason was Charlotte and Eliot. 

Angellica had spoken to her over the phone a few times over the last few weeks and she had finally agreed to visit.  Only to die.

She was handling their deaths relatively well she thought.  She had finally stopped crying herself to sleep.  She had started smiling again.  She had pulled herself back from the dark hole that was threatening to swallow her.  Angellica knew that if she let her depression get the better of her, she would never get back onto her feet.  She was doing well considering only two weeks had passed since her fathers' death.

Angellica had not spoken to Damien of the visit to the Lawyer.  He was away on business again and had not shown any interest in hearing her feelings or talking to her about it.  She decided she would go to the appointment alone, leaving Azhure and Caelum with the neighbours’ daughter.