Chapter Twenty Six

7 December 2006 – Thursday

Burkesville, Kentucky

Angellica woke with a headache.  It thumped like crazy and her vision blurred.

Niah cried for her from the bassinette.

 “Okay, baby.”  Angellica croaked.

Niah cried harder.

Angellica got up from the bed, head spinning.  She bent and scooped the baby up, nearly dropping her as she turned.

 “Back to bed.”  Angellica muttered and climbed back in.  She settled Niah onto her breast, and dropped off to sleep.

Angellica woke again an hour later with Niah still nestled safely in her arms.  The baby was awake and looking at her.

 “What’re you looking at?”  She asked softly.  Her head hurt.

Niah smiled at her.

Angellica smiled back, “That’s a windy smile.”  She said in a scolding tone, and lifted Niah to burp.  Almost immediately, she complied.

 “Good girl.”  Angellica cuddled her back in the blankets and they went back to sleep.

 “Angellica.”

Mike shook her.  “Angellica.”  He said.

Angellica dragged her eyes open, and groaned at him.

 “Are you sick?”  He asked.  “You look like crap.”

Angellica closed her eyes again.

 “Angellica.”  He gave her shoulder a shake.  

She stayed asleep.

Mike scooped Niah up and kissed her on the cheek.

 “Hey,” He shook her again.  “I’ve got Niah, you sleep.”  He covered her up with the blanket.

Angellica muttered something as he walked out.

Mike went downstairs with the baby.  He picked up the cordless phone from the kitchen and dialled a number.

He waited while it rang.  “Hey, how’s the visit going?”

He laughed, “She’s crook upstairs... pretty crook, I’ve got Niah with me... you don’t have to, it’s fine... I can take her with me... only if you’re sure.”

Mike laughed again.  “Okay, bye.”  He put the phone down and went into the lounge.  He changed Niah’s nappy and settled her on the floor, before sitting down next to her.

Azhure closed her cell phone.

 “What’s up?”

 “Mum’s sick that was Mike.  He’s um...busy, so I need to pick up Caelum.  Do you want to come for a ride?”

He nodded, “Sure why not.”

Azhure started towards the door, and stopped before a large shadow.

 “Where are you two off to?”

 “Mum’s sick, Mike wanted me to pick up Caelum.”

Adam nodded, “Do you want me to?”

 “No, Luc’s coming with me.”  Azhure smiled, “Mum would throw a hissy fit if you showed up there.”

Adam nodded gravely, “Yes, you’re probably right.  I’d still like to go up there and see her though.”

 “You know what would happen if you did that.”  Lucien said.  “There’s not much point.”