Chapter Forty-Nine

4 September 2022 – Sunday

Burkesville, Kentucky

Caelum grinned.  “You’re a big girl now.”  He said to Cassidy as she came out of the toilet.

 “How big now Daddy?”  She asked and lifted her arms for him to pick her up.

He lifted her onto his hip.  “Nearly big enough for school.”  He kissed her as he carried her back to the party.

 “How long till I go to school?”  Cassidy asked in her sweet voice.  “With Shelby?”

Caelum shook his head,  “Next time you have a birthday you get to go to school.”

Cassidy sighed. “That be hours.”

 “Many hours sweetheart.”  He laughed.  “After Astra goes to school.”

Cassidy thought about that, then nodded.  “Ok, after Astra.”

Caelum and Cassidy turned the corner and everyone at the party was looking at the driveway.  No one turned as he approached.

 “What’s going on?”  He asked Ella.

Ella nodded at the car parked at the gate.

 “Who’s that?”  He asked.

Ella shrugged.

Caelum looked at his mother, she stood, arms folded, frowning.

 “Mum?”

Angellica shrugged.  “Juliette.”  She said simply.

 “What?”  Caelum looked again.  He recognised the face now.  “Oh joy, what the hell does she want?”  He questioned.  He put Cassidy down and started towards the car. 

As he got closer he could see Nathaniel in the passenger seat.

His heart started to beat faster.

He moved through the gate and went to the window between himself and his ex-wife.

The window slid down.  “Hello Caelum.”  She said smoothly.

 “What are you doing here?”

 “I want my son.”  She replied.

Caelum started to laugh.  He bent slightly to look at Nathaniel, and then spotted kids in the back seat.  His laughter stopped.  “Are you serious?”

Nathaniel nodded.  “Completely.”

 “Then come back tomorrow when I’m not so busy.”  Caelum straightened and walked back to the gate.

Juliette leaned out the window slightly.  “Now Caelum.”

Caelum stopped.  He clenched his fists, turned and smiled at her.  “No.”  He wanted to walk back to the car and smack her in the face.  “Not now, I’m in the middle of a birthday party right now.  Come back tomorrow morning and I will discuss it with you.”

 “Let me take him for the night.”  Juliette demanded.

Caelum went back to the car; he folded his arms and stayed out of reach.  “No.”

 “Why?”  She asked.

 “Why would I even ask him to go with you?  He has no idea who you are.  He’s not about to get in a car with complete strangers.”

 “I am not a stranger, I’m his mother.”

 “No, you’re not.  You were the incubator.  Get out of my driveway, and if you have even half a brain in that head, you’ll not bother coming back.  But, if you insist, then I will speak with you then.”  Caelum replied.