Chapter Fifty

17 January 2023 – Tuesday

Burkesville, Kentucky

Damien sat in the chair opposite the psychiatrist.  “I’ve finished them.”  He said simply.

 “How does that make you feel?”  The tiny man asked.

Damien laughed, “Surely after this long Dave, you should know asking me that question is useless.”

Dave grinned.  “Tell me anyway.”

 “How does it make me feel?”  Damien mused, smiling at him.  “It makes me feel complete.”

Dave laughed.  He openly laughed at Damien.

Damien laughed in reply.  “Why do you laugh so much?”

 “Thinking back to a few years ago Damien, when I first asked you how you felt.”

Damien nodded.  “I really should thank you Dave, you have done something amazing with me.”

Dave shook his head.  “It wasn’t me Damien.” 

 “You asked the right questions, you fixed me.”

 “Unfortunately, after the many years we have been speaking, I have come to the assumption that you fixed yourself.  You just came to the correct conclusions after the initial questions.  You have shown yourself that the paths your father and your grandfather chose were wrong.  You have seen the error of your own ways and that what you did was wrong also.  Tell me one thing.  How did I fix you?”  Dave sat back in his chair and waited while Damien mulled over his thoughts.

Damien sat forward in his chair, arms on the edge of the table.  “I think that you have come to the correct assumption, that my conclusion, to your questions and my inevitable answers, are…” He paused.

Dave laughed.  “Aside from extremely confusing.”

Damien laughed.  “Thank you very much, for asking the right questions, so I came to the correct conclusions.”

 “You are very welcome my friend.”  Dave held out his hand for Damien to shake it.

Damien reached across the table and grasped it tight.  “Am I cured?”  He asked.

 “Absolutely.” Dave laughed.  “Now, you just have another seventeen years of your prison sentence to serve and you’ll be a free man.”

Damien threw his head back and gasped with laughter.  “I’ll never get out of here.”  He said once the laughter subsided.

 “I could put a good word in for you.”

Damien sat back in his chair and shook his head at Dave.  “No, I’d not want you to do that.  I killed Devlin.  I shot him four times.  Once for Azhure, once for Angellica.  I shot him a third time for my mother.  The fourth shot was a girl called Heather.”

 “Heather?”  Dave was confused.

 “I never told you about Heather?”

Dave shook his head.

Damien rubbed his eyes with the heels of his hands.  “I’m not sure it’s really a story I should share.  Maybe the short version.  I was management, and only twenty-eight.  I hadn’t met Angellica yet and I’d been away for some time.  I got it in my head to go see my Dad and the others.”  He smiled at Dave.  “My Dad and my Mum.” He corrected, knowing that his mother was part of it all too.  “Devlin was still living there of course.  I mean, come on, twenty-five years old and still living at home, what a fool.”  Damien gave a harsh laugh.