Chapter Forty-Six

24 March 2019 - Sunday

Burkesville, Kentucky

Angellica and Niah played with the twins. 

Hildy still sat in her chair silent.

Niah was at the bottom of the pile up and the twins were laughing hysterically when Adam parked the truck in front of the house next to Hildy’s station wagon.

He dropped out and Angellica met him at the front door.

 “Well?”  He asked after kissing her.

 “They’re actually very nice.”  She said with a sly smile.

 “We’re keeping them?”  He asked quietly.

She nodded, “I think so.”

He nodded.  “Let’s get it sorted then.”

Angellica led him into the sunroom and the kids stopped in their tracks.

Toys were spread everywhere.  Jackets and jumpers had been stripped off and dumped on the floor.  Shoes were strewn around the room.

Hildy’s cup of tea sat on the coffee table untouched and she looked downright uncomfortable.

Adam grinned.  “Can I join the party?”  He asked.

Niah leapt to her feet and gave him a quick hug.  The twins followed a few seconds later.

 “Let’s get him down.”  Niah said the kids and Adam complied with a great deal of noise.

Laughter erupted again as all three children clambered over him.

Angellica stood next to Hildy, smiling.  “Is there anything I need to sign?”  She asked.

Hildy’s head shot up.  “Pardon?”

 “We’ll take them.”  Angellica said, feeling like she was purchasing a new object.

Hildy got up from her seat, picking up her bag.  “Is there somewhere a little more,” She paused, “Quiet?”

Angellica nodded and led her into the office.  “Please, take a seat, let’s get this done and you can get back to whatever it is you do.”

Hildy pulled the folder out and gave her the paperwork.  Pointing to the places she needed to sign, Angellica did as she was asked.

She signed to accept guardianship of the children, and she signed to accept the money Eliot had allowed, not that she needed it.  She figured that she deserved it.

 “Do you want a hand to get their belongings?”  Angellica asked.

 “There’s not much, but yes please.”

Angellica stood and led Hildy outside. 

Not much consisted of five suitcases and two duffel type bags.

 “That’s all of it.”  Hildy said, “If there is anything you need, please give me a call.”  She handed Angellica a card, sounding very automatic.

 “I don’t think you could help if you wanted to.”  Angellica replied coldly and closed the door in Hildy’s face.  She went into the sunroom.

 “Where’s Hildy?” Angel asked.

 “Gone.”

Bree stared at Angellica.  “Will you be our new Mummy?”

Angellica nodded, “If that’s okay?”

Bree smiled shyly, and it was Angel who ran into her legs.  “Yay!”  He whooped.