28) April 14: Minor Setbacks

Start from the beginning

            “I need to get out of here,” I said.

            “We can sneak you out easy enough,” Dad shrugged.  “Get ready and we’ll get you out.”

            “Thank you,” I gushed and hugged him tight.

            I put on the least conspicuous clothing that I owned.  I kept the hood up on my hoodie and I put on some sunglasses.  I met Dad downstairs and he told me the game plan.  He was going to go outside to take out the trash which would attract people’s attention.  Then it was up to me to sneak out back.

            It was easy enough to execute.  The hard part was figuring out where to go now.  My first instinct was to go to Camilla’s house or Fiona’s but their houses were just as swarmed with people as mine was.  So the word was officially out.  I didn’t know what else to do so I headed to school.  Lucky, too, because I met both Camilla and Fiona on the hockey pitch.

            “You too?” Camilla said dryly. 

            “Did anyone follow you?” Fiona asked.

            “I don’t think so,” I frowned.

            “Let’s go to the field behind the building just in case,” Fiona said.

            We all agreed and walked around the back. We sat down in the grass and looked at each other.

            “So this is…different,” Camilla said.  Understatement of the year.

            “I’ve been up since four,” Fiona yawned.  “Got my first call then.  It was some magazine looking for a scoop.”

            “What did you say?” I asked.

            “Well, it was four in the morning so I started the conversation with a lot of groans and mumbling.  Then I realized what she was saying and who she was.  That woke me up.  I told her I had no idea what she was talking about and then hung up.  I panicked.”

            “This is low, even for Karen,” Camilla scowled.  “She didn’t even just give them all our address.  She scanned the student manual and posted it online.  The entire internet has our number and address.”

            “Oh my god,” I winced.  “We have to move.”

            “We are not moving,” Fiona insisted.  “We just have to figure this out somehow.”

            “We can just deny it,” I suggested.

            “Tried it,” Camilla rolled her eyes.  “Now that the word’s out, people from school have been sharing pictures.  Pictures of us as couples.  Bee, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of your pictures from France aren’t in a magazine tomorrow.”

            “Plus, people in LA are already telling people they recognize us,” Fiona groaned.  “Our cover is blown.  The truth is out.”

            “Maybe this is a good thing,” I shrugged.  “No more hiding out.  No more secret car rides.”

            “Bee, we’ve been quarantined into our own homes.  Our address is on the internet.  This isn’t exactly a good thing,” Fiona pointed out.

            “Right,” I said slowly.  “There are a few minor setbacks.”

            “Setbacks,” Camilla snorted.  “You make it sound like Plan A didn’t work and now we have to move on to Plan B.”