1) September 1: Under The Radar

September 1, 2011

            Le Diary of one Bailey Adams.  Hello. This is the Senior Year of high school edition.  Well, it would have been my senior year of high school edition.  Let me break this down for you, Diary, because I think you’ll take my side on this one.

            Here I am, summer before my senior year of high school.  I’m ready to rule the school with my best friends and rock the joint.  Then my dad tells me he has an announcement and that me and my little brother should meet him in the living room.  Chase, my brother, has just eaten something foul and he wouldn’t stop farting.  Therefore, I was already in a pretty bad mood by the time my dad decided to join the family meeting that he established.  Then he dropped the bomb.

            Before I tell you the bomb, I should probably explain a bit more. You may have noticed from the information provided that my mom was not included in this family meeting.  That would be because my dad caught her in bed with another man just about a year ago and they divorced.  I haven’t spoken to her since.  I refuse to.  Chase still talks to her sometimes even though he’s mad at her, also.  He keeps trying to convince me to just send her an email or something but I’d rather walk on hot coals. 

            Anyway, the last year had been hard, especially on dad.  He really loved her.

            Anyway!  So my dad works for FedEx, the mail place.  But he’s not a delivery man. He works for corporate, where he’s in, like, an office.  He’s done a bit of travelling all over the world for his job which is really cool and I always wanted him to take me on one of his trips.  I wanted to travel more than I wanted to do anything.

            Dad started the “talk” by telling me I was finally going to get that wish.

            “We’re travelling somewhere?” I squealed.  “Where?”

            “We’re going to England,” he said.  He didn’t look nearly as excited for this as he should have.  I mean, he was taking me to England with him!  It was only what I had been asking for since I was eight! 

            “For how long?” I breathed.

            He hesitated and took a seat on the chair adjacent to us.  I maneuvered in my own seat to face him.

            “That’s the catch,” he said sheepishly.  “I’m not so much travelling as, well, being relocated.”

            “Relocated,” Chase repeated as if he had never heard the word before.

            “I’ve got a position at their office over there,” he explained.  “The pay is better.  They’re housing me the first year so I won’t have to pay for that.  We’re going to be in a great neighborhood with lots of kids your age.  The school isn’t too far.”

            “Whoa, whoa, whoa,” I said.  “Let me get this straight. We’re moving?”

            “Yes,” my dad confirmed.

            “To England?”

            “Yes.”

            “Dad!” I whined.  “You can’t move us now!  I’m going into my senior year!”

            “I know, honey, but this is a great opportunity for me,” Dad pleaded.  “I know it’ll be hard at first but you’ve always loved England and I know you’ll adjust fast.  You’ll love it.”