20) January 1: Troll On Acid

31 December, 2011

            Something is amiss.  My life has been way to calm and smooth the last couple of days.  It’s the calm before the storm, I can feel it.

            Some may say I’m a pessimist, but can you really blame me? Realist is the more correct word, I feel.

            Okay, I’m zen.

            So tonight is the big party.  I’ve decided not to drink for a lot of reasons, most of which involve me steering clear of all drama.  If I’m in total control, I can handle anything with ease and grace. 

1 January, 2012

            My life.  Is over.

            I’m not suicidal, but if I start to die of pain, don’t try to revive me.  That’s all I’m saying.

1 January, 2012, five minutes later

            The girls came over to my house to get ready.  The night started off splendidly.  We did the usual laughing, dancing, and singing amidst our makeup application and hair taming.  We gossiped about the boys and everyone aww-ed at Niall’s nursing skills.  Jessica only mentioned Harry once and I used that time to share my new knowledge I acquired from Rex’s mom.

            “Milly?” Karen frowned.  “What kind of a name is that?”

            “It’s probably a nickname,” Camilla said reasonably.

            “Do you think she’ll be there tonight?” Jessica asked.

            “Who knows,” I shrugged.

            Once we had all squeezed into our little black dresses and took so many pictures that I was seeing spots from the flash, we headed out.  It was at Harry’s house which should have been my first red flag.  We waltzed into the house together and I felt like we were in a modeling fashion show or something.  As soon as we entered the house, we each sported a pose and we looked around the room.  It was all very dramatic but it made me feel powerful. 

            “I’m going to find Liam,” Camilla announced.

            “And Louis,” Fiona added.

            “Drinks?” Karen said to Jessica.

            “Drinks,’ Jessica confirmed.

            “Niall,” I told myself since everyone else had walked off. 

            I found Niall sitting in the living room with Harry, Zayn, and two girls I didn’t recognize.  As long as the girls weren’t Vivian and Mindy, I was more than willing to meet them.  I still felt a little weird about being around Harry but I was also confident that Niall was right for me.  I was also confident we had both moved on so I didn’t see the point in avoiding him.

            “Hey,” I smiled at the group and rested a hand on Niall’s shoulder.

            “Hey! Niall greeted enthusiastically.  He stood up and gave me a peck on the lips.  “Girls, this is my girlfriend, Bailey.”  I tried not to look too overjoyed at being his girlfriend.  “Bee, this is Harry’s girlfriend, Milly, and her friend, Dee.”

            The smile froze on my face and I forced myself to reach out my arm and shake their hands.  I quite honestly did not see that one coming, which speaks volumes about my observation skills.  Of course the girl with Harry is his girlfriend.  How could I have missed that?