24) January 14 & 15: Warlocks and Stage Five Clinger

This chapter is a bit mature

******************************************************************************************************

14 January, 2012

            It has come to my attention that I really need to figure out what I’m going to do with the rest of my life.  College works pretty differently in the UK than in America so I’m basically lost.  There are things called A-Levels that I don’t understand but they sound pretty important.  And there’s the college/university situation that I also don’t understand. 

            To be honest, I always imagined myself going back to the States for college.  It never occurred to me I would have a hunk of a man to keep me firmly planted in England.  And I do want to stay in England.

            Yet…

            America really is my home.  One roller coaster of a year in England doesn’t change that.  And now that my mom and I are kind of chatting again, there’s nothing holding me back from America.  Maybe…maybe Niall would be willing to look at schools in America, also.

14 January, 2012, later

            So I casually brought up the idea of college to Niall in the subtle way that I have mastered.

            “So what are your plans for college?” I asked as I leaned against his headboard and fiddled with a Rubik’s Cube.

            “A-Levels and then university,” he recited.  “If music doesn’t work out.”

            I stared at him blankly.  He was sitting on the end of his bed restringing his guitar.  Niall had explained the A-Level thing to me but it went right over my head.

            “So…What does that mean exactly?”

            “Sixth form,” he said.  I rolled my eyes.  Of course, sixth form.  Love that sixth form.  Brilliant.  “It’s pretty difficult, though, so I’m hoping Warren calls me real soon.”

            “Yeah,” I said.  “Definitely.”

            So that answered absolutely nothing.  He might as well have told me his plans in Russian for all the good his explanation did me.  What the poop is sixth form?  And why does everyone keep telling me college and university are two different things?  And why is everyone rambling on about something called GCSE’s?  Are they important?  Should I be worried about them?  It’s a test right?  Wait, shit, should I have been studying for them this whole time?  Wait…am I even eligible to take GCSEs? 

            I’m confused.  I’m going to go look up American colleges because that is far more simple.  Aaaaaand break!

14 January, 2012, laterer

            You know, I started on about this whole college thing as a means to distract me from the craziness that is my life, but now I’m raising valid concerns. 

            Maybe I should email Warren again and see what he’s up to.  I don’t particularly want to be a musician, but Niall does.  Maybe Niall can become famous and I can just live off of him.

            No wait, that’s a terrible plan.

            I am a strong, independent woman.  I don’t need no man!

14 January, 2012, two minutes later

            But I mean if he has extra spending money anyway—