28) April 14: Minor Setbacks

14 April, 2012

            Holy shit.  My life went from mundane to chaotic in less than twenty four hours. 

            So, I neglected to charge my phone when I got home so it died.  I figured I would just charge it in the morning and enjoy a good nights sleep without interruption.  So imagine my confusion when I plugged my phone into the wall, waited a few minutes, and then was bombarded by literally hundreds of missed calls and texts.  I threw my blankets off of me in horror.  My mind immediately went somewhere dark.  What had happened to the boys?  Was it a plane crash?  Car accident?  What happened to them?

            But it wasn’t them I had to worry about.

            “Bailey!” my dad cried and burst into my room.  I think I looked a little panicked already because he said, “You saw them?”

            “Saw who?” I asked blankly.

            He looked solemn and beckoned for me to look out my window.  I walked over slowly, staring at him questioningly the whole time.  I pulled one edge of the curtains aside and looked down. 

            My entire lawn was covered with people.  Dozens of people littered the area.  Some had expensive looking cameras and some had notebooks at the ready.  Others just looked like every day passerby that decided to plant themselves in my yard.  Other people I recognized from school.

            “What’s going on?” I asked.  I closed the curtain tight and pressed myself against the wall, as if hiding myself from the police.  “Who are all those people?”

            “Fans,” Dad simply.

            “Fans?”

            “There seems to have been a leak of information,” he said bitterly.

            “What do you mean?”

            “Someone must have let it slip that you’re Niall’s girlfriend,” he shrugged.  “And they also let it slip where you live.”

            “Anyone I went to school with knew I was dating him,” I said.  “Why is it a big deal now?”

            “Because Niall is famous now.  And now everyone knows.”

            “Who would do that?” I asked.

            “I’m guessing someone that holds a bit of a grudge,” he said.

            I narrowed my eyes into a glare and balled my hands into fists.

            “Karen,” I said darkly. 

            I flung myself onto my phone and started to scroll through every missed call or text, which was made more difficult since I was still receiving new calls and texts.  I found one from Niall letting me know he was safe which was good.  I found one from Maggie telling me we should hang out.  Otherwise I didn’t recognize any of the numbers. 

            “What am I supposed to do?” I asked.

            “Want me to call the police?” Dad offered eagerly.

            “I think that might cause more problems right now,” I sighed.  “Maybe later.”

            “Okay,” he said sadly.