23) An Ugly Sheep: Part Deux

Okay what?  Okay what!?

            His eyes focused and his gaze landed on mine.  I probably looked like a scared puppy or something.

            “Where do you get virgin wool from?” he asked.  I froze.  What the hell?  I was preparing myself for this life altering moment that would define the rest of my life and he asked me that?!  I opened my mouth to say something but he cut me off, “An ugly sheep.”

            I stared at him with my mouth open for a moment.  His lips twitched upwards and his eyes sparkled.  Then something snapped and he couldn’t take it anymore and he started to crack up.  I stared at him in bewilderment. 

            “I was reading your joke book all yesterday,” he explained between giggles.  “I was rather fond of that one.”

            I reached out and punched him in the arm before I could stop myself or even think why.  He still laughed as he rubbed his arm.

            “Niall Horan!” I gasped.  “I don’t know what I’m going to do with you.”

            He stopped laughing but the twinkle in his eye remained.

            “Tell you what,” he said.  “Why don’t we use this trip to get back on track?  We won’t have the pressures of anyone else and it can be our escape from everything.  Let’s enjoy the rest of our trip together and deal with everyone and everything else when we get home.”

            “You mean it?” I asked breathlessly.

            “I do,” he grinned.  “I’m still kind of hurt, but I’ll get over it.  You’re worth it whether you think so or not.  So let’s just—”

            I didn’t give him the chance to continue.  I was so overwhelmed as his words sank in that I found myself out of my chair and my lips pressed against his.  He put one hand on the back of my head as he kissed me back.  I was overjoyed.  No…even that isn’t a strong enough word.  I was so happy I could explode.  I didn’t even care what was waiting for me back home as long as I had Niall.  My Niall.

            Then I started to get emotional again and a few tears escaped.

            “Jesus, am I so out of practice that I make birds cry when I kiss them?” Niall teased.  I just gave him another peck and beamed. 

            “You’re the best,” I burst.

            “I am,” he agreed.  “And so are you.”

            I sighed in total contentment and plopped back into my chair.

            “Why don’t you finish your sandwich and then we can get out of this place,” Niall whispered, a wicked grin on his face.

            “Deal,” I giggled, too giddy to function. 

            I practically forced the sandwich down my throat in my haste to get out of there.  We found Gabby and Scott who were having a heated debate about the art style of blah blah blah.  We told them we were leaving and then we power walked out of there. 

            “Notre Dame de Paris?” I asked.

            “Notre Dame de Paris!” he shouted and we took off running, laughing the whole way.  I think both of our emotions were scrambled and it just felt good to be in his company again.  I hoped he felt the same.  We ran for a little, then we got tired.  We held hands as we walked.  I told Niall about talking to my mom.  I still had yet to tell him the whole story but he still knew enough to know that talking to my mom was a big deal.