10) October 9: Bat Shit Crazy

9 October, 2011

            Niall came over.  He just showed up.  Dad answered the door and, since he’s met Niall before, welcomed him into our house with open arms.  I felt unnatural with him in my house.  I mean, he’s been in my house numerous times before and it was never weird but now I felt like things had changed between us, even though they technically had not. 

            “Would you like a beverage?” I offered.  Who the shit says “beverage” these days?   I mean, come on, Bailey.  Get your shit together.

            “I’m okay,” he said casually.  “You ready to head out?”

            “Head out where?”

            “The guys and I are rehearsing for Mr. Sharp’s project,” he informed.  “Camilla usually comes over to hang out and watch so I figured I’d invite you.”

            “Is this how you invite people?” I smirked.  “Showing up at their house?”

            “Do you not want to go?” Niall asked and he looked panicked for a second.

            “No, it sounds fun,” I assured him quickly.  “Just let me fix myself first.”

            Because I was definitely wearing sweatpants and a shirt so big that it went to my knees.  I like to stay in my pajamas for a long time.  You don’t know me.  Don’t judge.

            I ran upstairs and threw on some jeans and a tank top because I knew I’d just wear a heavy coat over it.  I brushed through my hair and dabbed on some mascara and foundation and a little eyeshadow and I threw in a little eyeliner. 

            I ran back down the stairs in my black peacoat and met Niall.  He was standing in the living room looking at pictures my dad had hung on the wall.

            “Is this your mum?” he asked, pointing to a picture of me, my mom, and Chase when I was about six.

            “Yeah,” I confirmed, turning towards the door so we could leave.

            “She’s pretty,” he complimented.

            Yeah, just as the guy she banged, I thought bitterly.

            “Very,” I said instead.

            “You look like her,” he said, sure he was complimenting me, not understanding how much I despised looking like someone I disliked so much.  But it’s not Niall’s fault I hadn’t told him anything so I just smiled and said, “Ready?”

            We walked out of the house and started to walk.

            “Whose house are we going to?” I asked.

            “Harry’s,” Niall said and smirked slightly.

            “Divine,” I mumbled.  “So how long do you think we have to keep this up?”

            “Keep what up?” Niall asked blankly.

            “This,” I said and pointed between us.  “Like, as soon as we ‘break up’ is he going to pounce again?  Or do you think he’ll abide by that whole bros before hoes thing and not mess with his friend’s ex?”

            “I’m not sure.”

            “We could keep it up to the end of the year,” I mused.  I mean, it’s not like I was in danger of being asked to be someone’s girlfriend for real.  “Maybe even forever if we need to.”