15) December 17: Ice Luge

Start from the beginning

            “Do you know if Harry has a date to the dance yet?” she asked in a would-be casual voice if she hadn’t looked out the window and tapped on her desk with her nails.

            “Not that I know of,” I said slowly. 

            She nodded and continued to look out the window thoughtfully. I turned to look out the window, also.  It was snowing.  I never knew it before I moved here, but I love the snow.  Prior to moving here, I had never even seen snow fall.  And I had only ever been in the snow about four times in my entire life.  Southern California is seriously lacking in the snow department.  But I woke up a few days ago and was delighted to see the ground covered and the cars and shrubbery dusted in snow.  It was beautiful.  Cold, but beautiful.

            “I was thinking I might like to go with him,” Vivian said, startling me out of my meditative state. 

            “Huh?” I asked blankly, forcing myself to focus.

            “I was thinking I could maybe go with him to the dance,” she shrugged.  She stared at her fingers as she traced the wood grain in her desk.  “Like as his date.”

            I stared at her as I tried to fathom what she just said.  There were so many things I wanted to say and ask all at once.  Did she like him?  Like fancy him?  Had they been hanging out a lot lately?  Hadn’t the entire foundation of their “relationship” been based on their mutual understanding that neither wanted anything other than sex?  Or was she just asking because she got along with Harry, her best mate was going with Zayn, and she wanted to be in a group of people that included her friend?  Maybe she just wanted to go with him because they had fun together.  Maybe she wanted to go with him because she got along with most of his friends. 

            But that begs the other question.  Why the hell would she think it would be okay to go to the dance with a group that included two people that had tried to beat her senseless?  Why would she even consider going to the dance in a group with Jessica and Karen a good idea?  It didn’t make any sense.  Surely she would know that this wouldn’t sit well with the group.  Surely she knew the whole thing was a bad idea and going to the dance with Harry wasn’t worth it.

            But before I could say anything, Koch walked into the room and started to talk. 

            Once the lecture started I realized I was off the hook.  I hadn’t said anything to encourage or discourage the situation.  Plus, the only way she would go to the dance with Harry was if he asked her, and I didn’t see him doing that.  He can be pretty thick sometimes, but even he wouldn’t invite Vivian to the dance.

            I was wrong.

            He invited Vivian to the dance.

            Fucking A, right?  Like, come on, Harry.  Get your shit together.

            That’s not even the worst part.  No, the worst part is that Vivian is delusional and is under the false pretense that I told Harry to ask her.  I mean, seriously?! Bitch be crazy. 

            It goes without saying that the other girls weren’t thrilled about this development.  Jessica even tried to un-invite Harry from our group.  That’s obviously a lost cause since Harry is kind of the leader of our group for some reason. 

            Tonight is going to be interesting.  And not in the good way.

17 (18?) December, 2011, later