33

Darkness went on for a long time. She didn't now how much time passed as she laid unconscious. It was during that time of darkness that the goddess appeared. Lighting up the dark as her namesake would the night. Kaiya stared blankly, worn from the battle and mentally weak from the trauma of the child she felt for herself all in one moment.

"You have done well child of the moon." She knelt and cupped the wolf girl's face. "Now I will join my husband in the afterlife at last. I shall take the beast with me for it's purpose has been fulfilled."

"Will I see you again?"

"No young one. But, there is someone else who would love to speak with you one more time before crossing." Tsukino stepped aside and there stood her mother. Long brown hair flowing in nonresistant wind as warm golden eyes seemed to smile on their own. The goddess waits silently as the woman, her descendant, knelt before her daughter and embraced the dazed girl. "My stars, oh how I longed to hold you like this again. You're so big now."

Kaiya felt tears fall from her eyes. "W-why did you....you were Lira the whole time?"

"Every Mitsu has a spirit wolf. That spirit just so happened to be a relative." She smiles kindly and strokes her daughter's wild strands. "I watched how you've grown. I'm so thankful to Hiruzen for raising such a strong kunoichi." Tears fell from the mother's eyes as she spoke. "I'm...I'm so proud of you my sweet baby girl."

Kaiya could feel her arms now and immediately wrapped them around her back. "Mom...." Unable to hold back all of the emotions, she began to cry. Cried into her mother's chest like she did before that fateful night which tore their happy family apart. All her anger and sadness pours out as if a dam broke inside her heart.

After many moments of silence after the sobs died off, she looks up into eyes that match her own. "Mommy...A-are you leaving too?" Her voice was small. Childish even in word choice. She had her mother. She had gone back in time.

The woman smiled sadly with a nod. "Your father is waiting for me. Has been for many years now."

"It will be selfish of me to ask you to stay then." Kaiya lets go and looks down, her ears flattening against her hair.

"Sweetheart. I love you very much. But I must go now and you need to return to the world. You have such wonderful friends and a handsome boyfriend waiting."

The last bit made her blush. Gaara.... She hasn't seen him since the battles started. She missed the redhead. Badly. The darkness started to fade. "Mom?! Tsukino!"

"Goodbye moon child."

"I love you Kaiya."

Kaiya!

She's waking up!

Thank god.

Voices greeted her ears as a bright light overhead shines into her eyes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was thirteen years ago.

So many things had happened since then. The war ended. Hanabi was kidnapped and the rescue mission following somehow ended in Naruto and Hinata getting married. Shikamaru married Temari, not a surprise in the least. Neji died in the war. When Kaiya woke up in the hospital months after the war ended, she was heartbroken over her friend's death. Plenty of her clan were wiped out too.

Gaara asked for her to move to suna with him when he attended Naruto's wedding. It took some time to think about but knew it was the only way. Every once and awhile she will visit Konoha and that was during the monthly Kage summit. A year after the move, Gaara proposed. It was cute and awkward at the same time. He had no idea what he was doing and stuttered.