Chapter 13

Kaiya stood on the Hokage memorial, balancing on the flame tip. The wind blew through her wild hair. Her ears flicked and she turned her head to see Asuma standing at the base. "How'd you know I'll be here?" He asked. The wolf eared girl only shrugged and smiled. "Coincidence."

   "Anyway, how come you were gone so long? A bandit mission is something you can do in just half a day." Kaiya blushes and jumped down from the memorial. "ER....well. A long story that I really don't want to repeat more than three times. Asuma rose a brow, slackening his hold on the cigarette he just lit. To bad he didn't quit for long. The smoke stench really wasn't good for her nose.

   "I see. Well save it for the others. I'm visiting Kurenai later today." He scratched his beard while his face pinkenned. "Alright but don't get carried away." She teased, brushing past him. He gave her a shocked look. All she did was wink over her shoulder before running off into town.

_______________________________

   She was off of missions for now since she had no messages to deliver and no minor troublemakers in the land of fire to beat up, so she dressed in a longer skirt that cut off around her knees and a long sleeve grey shirt. Her hair was tied into two loose ponytails at her shoulders. She saw Sakura up ahead and waved. "Hey there pinky!" She grinned.

"Oh Kaiya, You were gone for a pretty long time. Is everything okay?"

   "Yeah, just got a little sidetracked. I had an injury that needed tending to and the closest place was the sand. Those bandits ran me a race heheh." She laughed while giving half-truths. The pinkette narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "If you say so. But for now I need to head home." She nodded to the paper sack in her arms "I'm making some food pills for Naruto. Here have a sample."

   She held out what looked like one of those things dung beetles roll around. She brought it to her nose and sniffed. Immediately she cringed and held her nose. "Er.....I'll pass until you perfect the recipe."

"What do you mean? I already did."

.......

    Kaiya turns around and runs off without another word that might set off Sakura. She saw Hinata around the corner. Yay another friend! She ran over and hugged the Hyuuga girl by surprise. "Ah! Oh it's you Kaiya-chan. We were worried about you....and well.....uh." She didn't know how to continue the conversation. Her tail wagged with excitement when a idea popped into her brain. "Hey are Kiba and Shino around? If your team isn't busy, I'd like to hang out."

   "Y-yes. Kiba is in the store down there." Kaiya looked and saw the pet store. Ugh... It will be a while before she can go near one of those after her experience. "I'll just wait out here." Not sooner after she said that, Kiba ran out with Akamaru.

   "Oh hey there wolfy!" He grinned. She flicks her tail, scowling at him. He's calling her that now? Kiba puts his arm around her shoulders. Sighing, she reached up and pinched his hand with her pointed nails. "Owe owe owe!" He jumped back, shaking the wounded limb. "Anyway, how about we go get some meat buns!" Kaiya grinned, her tail now wagging.

   Hinata smiled shyly and Kiba rode Akamaru as the three friends walked down the road. Every once in a while she heard people whisper her old nickname 'night wolf'. It felt like only a week ago that she was terrified of going outside Asuma's apartment. Singing on full moons to relieve her troubles. HM maybe she can sing something for the people sometime. No, if anything she would sing at night like always. But lately she only did it whenever the right emotion hits her.

    The rest of the day she hung out with her pals including a short visit to Naruto and telling him how Gaara was doing. Kiba laughed at her story about becoming a puppy, even Hinata couldn't help but giggle at the ridiculousness. Shino was apparently on a mission with his clan and the ino-shika-cho team couldn't hang out for too long. They were helping to rebuild the damaged wall , well not Shika, it was too much of a drag for him.