Chapter 11

"Kai! Come eat." Temari shouts. A vein nearly pops from Kaiya's forehead at the dinner call. Funny how they name something similar to her other name. She walked into the kitchen, grumbling to herself. Where the hell was Lira in her time of need. She glared down at the dry pellets that looked like dirt. Did dogs really eat this stuff?

                                                                       ______________________________

   It didn't take long for Gaara to notice something peculiar about the new pet. He could tell it understood them perfectly. That was the first sign. Secondly she acted strange. One would expect a puppy to bounce around and play and eat. Instead she just sat somewhere and watch or sleep.

    Kai was growling at the food and pushed it away with her paws. He rose a invisible brow, leaning back and drank his coffee. Temari crossed her arms. "What a pain. I thought dogs were supposed to be fun." She sighed and tried to pick Kai up.

   The pup jumped back out of the way in time to dodge. "Don't be difficult." Temari grumbled. Kai ran and jumped onto the chair, then table. She had a surprising amount of agility for a pup. His sister lunged for her again but she quickly jumped down and hid under Gaara's chair. "I give up geez" He looked down to see Kai crawl out. He placed his remaining breakfast plate in front of her. "It's unhealthy to not eat anything."

    Gratefully she ate the leftovers. There had to be some way to return to normal. Sure its nice being able to hang around. She can't come to the sand village for visits on her own. But she can't stay this way either. Asuma and the others were all expecting her home.

    Kaiya yelped when she was picked up by one hand. She looked up to see that Gaara was the one that picked her up. He left the kitchen and exited the living area. The shinobi passing by gave odd looks to them. Kaiya's face heated up from embarrassment. Kazekage walking with a puppy in his arms. No big deal, no big deal. She repeated in her head.

    She looked up. Never mind. This is a very, very big deal. He's the guy that she is trying to deny feelings for......great. In a way she admitted it.

    Gaara entered his office and placed her down. She looked around for any changes. A coffee machine by the bookshelves. Was he addicted? While Kaiya was looking about the room she noticed something. A picture frame with her and team Kakashi. By the looks of it, it was when they were saying goodbye after the rescue.

    Temari's handiwork no doubt. There was pink smudges where marker was wiped away. She must have written something. Rustling was heard behind her. She turned her little head to see him taking off his red coat. He wore a shirt similar to the one he had long ago. Short sleeve  that extended two inches with mesh. It stretched against him but molded quite nicely to his figure.

    Stupid Kaiya, your fashion sense is kicking in at the wrong time. She looked back for a moment. Gaara isn't very fit but he did have muscle. A long range fighter doesn't really need to focus on frontal attacks. He used to only rely on his sand. Must have taken all four years to learn to resist using the sand on impulse.

       He pulled on his Kazekage robe, snapping Kaiya out of her trance. "Curious of that picture? That one with ears is Kaiya." He's going to talk to a puppy? Awe that's just too cute. He didn't say anything else after that. Well. It was a adorable moment while it lasted but he wasn't much of a talker anyway.

                                                                  _______________________________

   Three days pass. She kept acting like a real pet, Gaara had her as company in the office and was ever so kind to give her real food. Lira came by every day trying to find a way to fix this. Kaiya had been trying to find ways to escape the tower.

    That is exactly what she would try tonight. "So you trailed the ones who took me and found out what?"

"Their tranquilizer fluid they used was corrupted. That vial seemed to have been mixed with a different fluid."

   Kaiya tilted her head. "Really? Maybe it was to make the user look youthful. Obviously not meant to have the whole bottle injected into the blood stream." She sighed. "Anything else?"

    "I read the label on the corrupted vial. I'm going to go find that store and see if they have what you need to return to normal. If were lucky they do but if not lets hope it will run out of your system."

       She vanished from the room right as the door opened. Gaara walked in, smelling of coffee. It sucked not being able to talk to him. At least being human she could tease him and even start a conversation. She was too busy brooding to notice Gaara undressing.

    She yelped and quickly hid under the bed. "Hurry Lira this is not good for my heart." She whimpered. A hand grabs her by the scruff. "It's bad to sleep down there." He stated in his normal deadpan tone. Shirtless and dark red plaid pajama pants. He placed her down on the end of the bed before getting under the covers.

    Another day she managed to survive. No doubt she will have a good laugh over barbecue with Kiba.

   "Great story. I became a pup and spent who knows how long in my crush's house" What a laugh that will be. Closing her eyes, she curled up on top of the blanket to sleep. Good night Gaara.

                                                          _________________________________

     "So you failed because?" Kabuto sighed, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. Standing in front of him was a pair of minions, former test subjects of Orochimaru.

  "We uh, thought we'd lighten the load with youth elixir. We snuck it into a hunters Mao. We didn't think they'd put the wolf into a pet shop."

    "I get it. I have been so busy that I need people to do the dirty work. But I guess now I will have to do this myself."

                                                             __________________________

       Tsunade smiled sweetly as Sora, a monk in training walked out of the hole in the wall she had previously created after mistaking Bold for Old. Her smile faltered when looking over a letter. "She has been gone for five days. This mission should have been finished much sooner for one of jounin rank."

   "Yes m'lady. We've been searching the area and one ninja  found the bandits. All of them were killed but no sign of Kaiya except for a trail of blood that only lasted seven meters." Shizune sighed. "Medics suspect she went somewhere safe and also those kids that arrived yesterday from another burned village. According to them she assisted them before the fight."

    "That's right. Well she's a capable girl I have complete trust that she will be home safe eventually." The blonde Hokage leaned back in her chair.

"I hope. I heard that Orochimaru wants her for something. Kabuto was seen talking to her by another leaf ninja passing through months back to when she returned the first time." Shizune informed her. "When she gets back we might need to station a few anbu by the cabin."

   "We can't afford to loose one of such promise."

(a little short but meh. Hope you liked)