Chapter 5

He woke rubbing his black lined eyes. He still wasn't used to actually sleeping, he still stays half awake most of the time. A medic told him he was told him he was able to start working in the office again. He got up and opened his closet, grabbing his kage uniform. He couldn't find his hat though.  "Hmm."

     He walked out into the hallway and knocked on Temeri's door. She opened it while tying  her last ponytail. "Hm? What is it Gaara?" She asked. "Have you seen my hat?" Temari tilted her head then shook it. "No." Gaara tried Kankuro's room but he had a note saying he was in the workshop. Last person to try was Kaiya. He walked into the living room where she usually hangs out.

      She was stretched out on the couch with his hat covering her face. "Its wrong to steal." No answer. He walked over and sat on the small part of the couch not covered by her, reaching over to lift his hat off Kaiya's face. When he did, he saw that she was sound asleep. A small smirk on her lips that seemed to be a permanent feature for her now. He chuckled a little and got up and went to the kitchen to get some breakfast. "Murrrr. Where's my shade." Kaiya groans before forcing herself to sit up. She saw that Gaara had his hat back.

     She sighed. "I was just borrowing it." She grumbles, her lower lip out in a pout. "Why?" He looked over his shoulder when grabbing a box of cereal. "I'm from the leaf remember? I like to lay in the shade but the desert doesn't exactly have trees." She laughed before stretching her arms over her head and bending her back in a arch lick a waking panther. She gets off the couch and walked to the kitchen too. "Sure you don't want me to cook again?"

     He looked up. "You have helped far to much, medics say I'm work able now. I don't want to trouble you any further." Kaiya blinked. Wow. He as definitely changed for the better. He's actually sort of  charming with all of his sincerity. A grin slowly formed and she hopped onto a counter, crossing her ankles where she sat. "Trust me, its no problem. I'll make some....Pancakes? Eggs...oh and definitely bacon." She slid off the counter and tied a waist apron on. She got the ingredients and began cooking in silence.

      He sat at the dining table where a pile of mission requests are. He starts separating them into the different ranks, glancing at Kaiya every once in awhile. She tied her wild hair at the base of her neck. She looked so focus on her task. When she first came here to help, it was somewhat strange to speak to her after so long. But it seems the atmosphere was relaxed now. Hat stealing was surprising a great icebreaker he mused internally.

    Kankuro came in and slings his arm around Gaara's shoulder. "Hey there baby brother. Putting the wife to work?" Gaara rose a nonexistent brow. "She.....wanted to. I didn't make her do anything."

"Oh boy. You're hopeless." He pats the redheads back before sitting down, tool and puppet arm in his hand. Kaiya walked over and sat the three plates of freshly cooked meals onto the table. She snapped the ponytail on her hair to let it fall loose on her back. She opened a book and started going through the certain pages, she stopped at one and narrowed her eyes. "Oh no." Gaara looked up from his pancakes. "I think I had a run in with orochimaru's henchman the other day." She placed the book down and turned it to face Kankuro and Gaara. "Kabuto, remember him?"

   "He's that wimp from the chunnin exam right?"

  "Yes but wrong. Kabuto was actually a spy, the spy working with the sand but backstabbed you guy's by hiding that Orochimaru killed the Kazekage just to personate him. He intentionally quit out because his mission was finished. He was only getting Intel on Sasuke Uchiha's abilities." She wasn't going to say that he sent Baki to kill Hayate Gecko, they already knew. "He was at the library, supposedly passing by. Can't believe I didn't recognize him earlier."