Chapter 4

"Who are you?" The redheads voice registered in her ears while she struggled in the sand that wrapped around her. She was just trying to make some breakfast. Kankuro and Gaara aren't a hundred percent and her surprise was her staying and helping both brothers recuperate. She should've known Gaara would be on high alert, especially after the kidnapping. Plus he doesn't sleep, though he should be able to now. She growled and squirmed. "Its me Gaara, geez." She flashed out of the hold and appeared sitting on the counter.

   He lifted a nonexistent brow at the she-wolf. "It's dangerous to sneak into the Kazekage's manor. How did you get in?" He looked at the kitchen. There was a bowl of already whisked eggs and a working rice cooker. "I had a lot of practice in the past. Sneaking into the hokage's office and passing Anbu has gotten fairly easy." She said casually before sliding off the counter top and went back to cooking. Her tail swayed left and right behind her. He still didn't quite understand her. Back then he never tried to.

    Temari and Kankuro came from their rooms. "Ah so you found out already huh?" Gaara narrowed his eyes. "You knew of this." He said it as a statement not a question. She placed down the plates holding an omelet and rice bowl. He sighed, pardoning her intrusion, not going to reject a fresh and unburned meal. 

   Kaiya gave a fanged grin and sat down with them. "I got permission to hang around here for awhile. Help with both of your recuperations." She pointed at Kankuro and Gaara with her chopsticks. "I'm fine, I'm all good now." Kankuro gets a cocky grin on his face an Kaiya stood up, walking up behind him and hit the top of his spine lightly. "Aaaack!" He fell forward groaning from the suden shock of pain. "Barely tapped you. There is no way you are good." Gaara smirked slightly. She sat back down and started to eat. "Besides, I wanted to see my friends, Naruto had longer time than I did."

    Temari took a bite of the omelet. "Wow this is good!" Kaiya chuckled and shrugged modestly. "Before living with the Mitsu clan, I picked up a few skills to take care of myself while on the road." She finished her plate. "I have another reason for being here." Gaara listened intently, twining his fingers together and having his arms laid across the table top. "I'm going to be a messenger of information on the akatsuki. Jiraiya I understand had traveled to all the hidden villages that have a uh, tailed beast." She didn't like the label of Jinjuriki so she avoided saying it, especially when infront of Gaara. "The Akatsuki members are still somewhat of a mystery when it comes to their abilities, each being unique. My job is to bring recent updated data on them."  He nodded in understanding. "I see. Thank you for informing us of that."

    "There is one more issue I haven't discussed with the Hokage yet. But something any friend should know." All three this time were listening. "Orochimaru may have his eyes on me. During the chunnin exams he visited me and my brother's apartment. He might be after Mitsu DNA for our shape shifting ability. I'm not sure. But whatever he wanted to do, was stopped three years ago." Gaara frowned at the fact that someone was after one of his friends. "That's all I had to say. I'll be here for two days, no doubt that both of you would be fine by then." She smiled and took up their empty dishes and started washing. Temari went off to take care of the paperwork by organizing while Kankuro took his bedrest as an excuse to sleep. "Kaiya. Be careful." She turned her fiery gold eyes towards him. "Do you sleep Gaara? Now I mean, I know you didn't before." She asked, changing the subject.

    "I try, it will be easier with all-nighters now without his constant pestering." He picked up a file that was on a short table in the corner. She snatched. "Nope. rest not work, I think even the Kazekage deserves a break once in awhile." He rose his invisible brow again. "This work is to important for breaks." He states bluntly as he stepped towards her but she teleported to the arch doorway. "So slow, I thought you'd be quicker?" She smirked and ran of with his work. He sighed, feeling her chakra going up to the roof.

    Kaiya hummed while looking at the papers. "Wow this is a lot of mission requests. Must be hard, can't see Naruto doing all this reading." She tossed the file onto the ground and jumped up to stand on the roof edge, walking it like tightrope.(play song) She started singing the tune that she done once before. It didn't have any words, just sounds. She closed her eyes and kept walking, balancing on the ledge. She was unaware of the red haired boy watching. He remembered this sound, from the day she healed his injuries after fighting Naruto Uzumaki. He walked over to her. "I'll be taking that back." He said while picking up the file of paper. She was startled and cut off her song when she fell backwards. He quickly caught her with his hand and pulled her away from the edge.

   "I thought I said be careful" He looked down at her. She was very aware at how close he brought her to him so she puffed her cheeks to hide the redness that was rising to her face. He used to be shorter like Naruto but now both of them out grew her. He was 5'5 while she was permanently stuck as a midget in the height of 4'5. It wasn't fair. Her wolf ears lowered as she pouts. Her face was pinkenning against her will also because he became rather handsome. Red hair indeed longer and spiked, not short and tousled like it was years ago. He had lines at the corners of his inner eyes near the bridge of his nose that gave him an older look. His face still was a expressionless mask but those green eyes don't have that coldness in them anymore. "You did, but despite my excellent hearing, I don't always listen." She ducked under the arm that caught her once he had let go of her wrist.

    He brushed the sand off the file and papers. "Where's the library?" He pointed to a building nearby. She grinned. "Thanks!" He was about to tell her to use the stairs but she already jumped off the roof to the ground below. She was reckless. That's something new about her. She sort of reminded him of Naruto, running into situations without much thought. Only difference is that Kaiya knows what she's doing. Gaara smirked and left to find Temari in order to discuss the different job ranks and sort them out before the sand shinobi start coming in to receive them.

________________________________________________________________________________

    Later that day, the sun was beginning to fall and Kaiya was still researching on Orochimaru and the Akatsuki. A man's voice sounded from behind her. "Catching up on reading are we?" Her ears flicked and she looked up to see a boy older than her, wearing a hooded cloak and round glasses. "Y-yeah. I am just researching the enemy that every village is facing." She says casually though Kaiya was currently on alert and analyzing the boy. He had silver colored bangs that were barely visible.

   He was familiar but she couldn't remember why. She felt a pick on her head. "Ow." Baring her fangs, she growled at the boy who was just reaching back. "Sorry, there was something in your hair, I wouldn't want you to go back out there just to be embarrassed. "Uh.....thanks?" That sly flattery and way of talking. It was nagging at the back of her mind. "It was a nice chat but I must go, I'm only passing through but I thought it'd be nice to talk to someone. my journey would be a long and silent one." With those last words he left.

    He was passing an alley when he heard his master's voice. "Kabuto, did you get the sample?"

"Yes my lord. She was cautious and I may have aroused suspicion. But she did not recognize me." He tossed the vial holding the two hairs he managed to get from the Mitsu.

  "Good. Perhaps now we can unlock the secrets of the Mitzu clan and how they can shift without a jutsu." The pale man's snake like tongue slithered across his lips. "Now go, Sasori doesn't like to be kept waiting."