❧ Shelter ☙

Taking down the steps to my common room I started to think of the path me and Tristan had walked together. I remember how terrified I was from the fact that we will study together, moreover be in one house with him. My mind was imagining how it was all going to get even worse between us than it already was, but then the boy from my childhood proved me wrong.
    Instead of going down, we climbed up and what was even more surprising we weren't stopping. Memories from my young ages attacked me and the always smiling boy appeared in my mind. He was always so cheerful, like a little sun and I was a cloud to him back then. Every time I was trying to play with him and his childhood friend we were ending up in a fight. I remember how he hated the summers, because he would be stuck with me. We were always lying in front of our parents to each other with the sentences "So happy you could come." and me replying with how happy I was to be there. But in the same time all we could think was how we could avoid one another during that time. Our parents thought we were having fun, but for us it was not. We were always fighting, pushing, pulling and torturing each other, that if I remember details it will hurt. But our parents managed to ignore that and decided that they should make that a tradition for every summer.
     As we were growing up, the physical fights started to fade away. Instead, my parents decided to calm my fighting spirit down and act more mature. Which in my opinion did not help me at all. I was always running after him and his friends, calling at Tristan to wait up, but all the boy was trying to do was to run away from me. He was good at that, but in the end he hated it, because I was always trying to punish them with a prank for not allowing me to play with them.
    After me and my mother left to France, all I had left from Tristan were not so pleasant memories. But then, years later, that same boy changed all my thoughts when he saved me from the Dementor in the train. What surprised me more was that a fifth year student could produce a Patronus. I was so amazed of how much he had changed that I found it hard to sometimes believe that he was the same person.
      And here I was now, in front of the stone wall, the entrance to Slytherin's common room, not knowing what to say when I see him. Afraid that I might realize how perfect he was, even with his imperfections.
"Pure-blood." I spoke the password boldly and the stonewall created the entrance.
Walking inside, I was welcomed by the empty room, which surprised me. Usually there were a lot of people here before dinner, yet all were somewhere else. I sat down in one of the black sofas and stared through the windows at the wishes swimming in the lake. A simple thought crossed my mind... Christmas was coming and I was planning on spending it here on my own, than with my father. I had a sister and I was scared to meet her, scared that I might get replaced by her. No matter how many times I was repeating to myself that it was silly to think that way, I was still getting scared from it. Questions like Did he already replaced me? Why didn't he write to me to ask if I will come back? Why didn't he write at all?, were torturing my mind and I found it odd to believe that my father changed so much for such a long time.
Sound of steps made me turn my gaze away from the window and to the person who seemed to walk in.
"I didn't know you were here." A bit cold husky voice spoke, as my eyes met Tristan's. I nodded and looked away, hating the fact that he was bitter. His lip seemed better, but it quickly reminded me of what he did for me and I realized that I deserved to be treated coldly. He was about to turn and walk away when I called out his name and he stopped. I got up from my spot and walked to him, not knowing what exactly to say or do. My instinct leaded my arms to wrap around him and my face buried in his chest, getting him surprised by my actions.
"Take me home." I said and breathed in his fresh scent which immediately calmed me down. I was ready to be pulled away, to be told to stop, but it never happened. All I felt was a hand on top of my head, which gently caressed my hair.
"I will." He whispered and I nodded few times in response. Closing my eyes, I felt so in peace with myself in that moment. His heartbeat was calm and strong, like a tune that was not giving up on repeating itself. I felt like I found shelter and I wanted to enjoy it for a bit, but the moment a door from the boys' corridor opened he pulled away.
"I'll go pack up, since we are leaving tomorrow." I said and took the way to my chamber.
    While packing, all I could think was what I was going to do with everything I had to deal with. Lydia was talking to me all the time, but my mind was focused on other things and mainly what will happen when I appear at the front door of my house.
Before knowing, an hour passed and the time for dinner came, which summoned all the student at the Great Hall, to enjoy the rich tables with food one last time before we return home for the holidays.