❧ Disappointments ☙

I was late for breakfast the next day due to the fact that I was thinking the whole night of the Yule Ball. Hoping that tomorrow when we go to Hogsmeade there will still be good dresses left.
Just as Snape said he gave us the test a minute after breakfast. An hour passed and I was almost ready with everything, but then the Gryffindor table got a bit louder than it had to and it dragged my attention as well as the Professor's. My eyes looked up from the papers just in time to see Fred Weasley asking Angelina Johnson to the ball. He winked at his little brother after she agreed and then his eyes met mine. The cocky smile vanished from his face and he looked back to his papers. I did wonder why he did that, but I pushed it away and finished my work.
     At lunch Lydia lectured me how I was going to be left without a partner for the Ball, because I push every boy away and while she was giving me detail almost like I did last night picturing myself as a nun behind bars, a girl from Beauxbaton came to our table. I never spoke to her back when I used to study there, she was a year below me, I just knew that her name was Claire-Isabelle.
"Pardon." She cleared her throat and said as she stood towards Tristan who ate his lunch peacefully.
The grey eyed boy looked up at her with full mouth and swallowed when he understood she was talking to him. Cleaning his mouth with a napkin he gave her a sign to continue and she took a deep breath.
"Will you be my date for the Yule Ball." Lydia's eyes opened widely while my lips slowly parted and we both looked at Tristan to hear his response.
He was frozen at his seat. He was the first and probably the last boy to be asked by a girl for the event. Miles nudged him in the ribs and Tristan came back to his senses.
"Sure." He coughed out and the girl squeaked from joy, giving him a peck on the cheek before running back to the Ravenclaw's table.
The guys around him began to tease him and ruffle his hair, Lydia turned towards me looking for any kind of emotion in me. Sadly, I wasn't fast enough to hide it and her eyes softened towards me.
"Gee? Are you alright?" I looked at the smiling blond boy and closed my eyes, counting to three in order to set my mask.
"Of course." I smiled at her and took the glass next to me to drink water.
I was looking at the food in my plate and just played with it with my fork.
"You got yourself a veela, laddie!" Someone teased Tristan and I felt a bit of pain in my chest. I am a veela as well, if that is what he wanted why didn't he ask me? I felt awful. In the morning Fred asked Angelina and now Tristan had a date as well. The two boys to whom I would've said yes were taken. Fred was going to be a fun date, while Tristan the perfect one, since we know each other from kids. It's not that I liked them, it was not possible. How could you like two guys at the same time? But then if I didn't why did I feel that way now? And the flowers? I remembered the daisy and the rose and felt stupid that I fell for that. My mother was right. I felt hurt and they weren't anything to me than friends, imagine what would the pain be if one of them was something more. I actually pictured myself dancing with Tristan last night and now all those silly and dim witted daydreams were gone. All the emotions and thoughts made my vision blurry and I felt how soon tears will roll down my cheeks.
"Excuse me." I quickly whispered and stormed out of the Great Hall leaving everyone around me at the table speechless.
    I took the corridor leading to the path for Hargrid's hut, but the moment I came out the cold wind blew in my face and I realized that I will catch a cold if I walk around only in my uniform. At first I thought that it was a good idea for an excuse not to attend at the Ball, but then I came to the conclusion that it was not worth it, so I turned on my heels and walked back inside the corridor.
Resting my back to the wall I closed my eyes and let out a heavy shaking breath, fighting back the tears. My lips trembled from the urge to let out a cry and my nose itched causing me to sniff.
"Oi, Lynch? What are you doing here?" Great, exactly the person I needed to be around.
"None of your business, Weasley." I spat at him with a loud sniff.
He came closer to me and studied my face with his eyes.
"You were crying." There was some kind of concern in his voice and I hated it.
"Don't be silly, Weasley." My eyes locked with his and my lips parted so I could breath, since my nose was blocked.

Fred's POV

I looked into her blue eyes that had a shade of red around their colour. Her lips and nose were red as well and I was sure it was not from the cold.
"I am not." I had no idea why I insisted into knowing why she was sad, but it somehow pained me to see her like that. She was too beautiful to look like that.
"Just leave me alone." She looked away to the ground showing me she didn't want me around.
"It's cold here, let's go deeper inside the castle." I took her by the upper arm, but she sent me a death glare.
"Let me go!" She pulled her arm away and rubbed her eyes quickly with her fingers. The girl was cracking right in front of me and I couldn't do anything, in the end I thought it was better to listen to her than insist more.
   When I found George I told him what happened and he got worried as well, but he suggested that we stay out of it, after all we didn't know her that much. But that didn't mean I could stop thinking of her. Sure she was harsh and cold, but beneath that she was actually a very fragile girl. I had no idea why she had such strong barriers towards every guy around, but that didn't make her bad. I wanted to cross them, but they were too big and strong and I gave up trying to get to know her more. Maybe that was my mistake.