Chapter 100

Epilogue Story 2

Not what you'd expect, but I happen to really like this despite the character of it.

_________________

               "Welcome home!" Mom looks up from her book, glasses at the edge of her nose and dad going over some paperwork at his seat in the kitchen. "You're brother's upstairs."

"He already got here?" I keep hold of my back pack strap. "Cool."

"He's sleeping but go in and wake him up. He should get something to eat."

"Kay." I leave the entrance foyer to journey up the stairs.

"Thanks Katey." Mom refers to me by my nickname, going back to reading her book, just as Josh's football player build fills up the hallway looking refreshed and clean cut, even more so than when he first graduated high school.

"You're up."

"Hey squirt-o." He finishes rubbing his neck when we exchange a fist bump but finish with a hug that helps me smile given my big brothers returned from college for the year. "Gonna join me for some food?"

"Sure. Don't start without me." I pass him when he travels down to see mom and dad, my room normal and nothing out of the ordinary, the usual books, the usual CD's, everything neat and in its place, a little crowded but cool enough for me.

After putting up my stuff, leaving it on my desk seat and sliding it back in to keep it tidy, I pull my hair higher as I enter a conversation already going on until Josh hangs up his phone.

"That was Mrs. Andrews." My ear catches the name like a coin spinning round and round, fast and shiny.

After months of them dating, I know who Mrs. Andrews is.

That's Sage's mother.

"Oh! What's she up to?" Mom looks back and holds the couch with her arm. "I need to get back together with her. I miss her, she's so adventurous, must be where Sage got it from."

"Well get this." Josh walks over to sit next to her on the couch. "She's finally coming back home." He grins. "Her and Chandler." I pause at the statement. Her and Chandler. "They've decided to throw a party for them. They should be there any minute so it's just to hang out; they wanted me to come over."

"Are you up for it?" Mom tilts her head. "You got enough sleep?"

"Oh yeah, mom. I'm fine." Josh notices me and gets an idea which I recognize through the gleam in his brown irises. "Kate, did you wanna come too? You were friends with Chandler right? And Sage?"

Friends.

I guess.

"When do we go?"

"Right now if you're cool with it."

"Sure." I push my hands in my hoody and wait for Josh to hurry and change a few pieces of clothing before he drives us both over to Sage's house where she and Chandler will be waiting among some other friends, seemingly like old times.

Is it strange that I feel nervous?

Even if it's just a little?

_______________________