Chapter 55

"Sage, are you ok?" Jenny slowly decides to rub my back at the register as I think about earlier tonight.

Something so satisfying and close turning into pain, things I didn't even know I felt collapsing from my mouth and hitting him to the point he couldn't say anything else to me. Nothing more than 'You're gonna be late' making me leave since, Chandler probably wanted to be alone.

I don't know if what I said was good or bad, enlightening or stressful. He just looked stunned.

Beyond stunned.

Undeniably lost and confused as if he'd just witnessed a miracle.

Maybe even a disaster.

It's true though. Chandler's been saving me from myself all along. This fresh new breeze bringing life into the town I've never left, showing me what's possible, forcing me to get up on my own feet even when I thought I already was.

There was a start, and I had something to do with that, but he's done so much for me. I wish I could've let him know sooner.

"Sage? Do you not feel well?"

"I'm fine. Just alot of thinking."

"Does it have to do with Chandler or your family?" She hits the nail on the head, and every other used out expression that just makes me feel transparent. "Do you want to take a break?"

"Nope! I'm fine! I'm finished with the register, we closed 20 minutes ago." I check my watch to see 11:53 p.m. "It's hard labor now right?"

"Mm-hm. First you have to stack some boxes of canned goods in the back, then bring out some items to restock the shelves. We're thin tonight so you'll have to manage by yourself. Sorry."

"Nooo, problem." I chirp and put away my apron but keep on the rest of my uniform before walking with Jenny and doing my hair in two loose braids so they won't get in the way, my new friend deciding to help me while we chat. "What will you be doing?"

"Rounding up the registers, getting everyone's info, picking up receipts and logging it in for Jannette. Josh is going to be doing what you're doing. It's just clean up time."

"Ok so, if I have any questions-"

"He's your man." She smiles when I give a big nod and hurry towards the back so I can get to work.

Josh isn't around but since the boxes are labeled it's not hard to figure out what to do. I see one of those thingy majiggy's where you put the cases on top of each other and roll them around so I guess that's what I'll have to do with my set of chores.

I wonder if Chandler's called me.

I wonder what he's thinking.

Fvck, if he decides to tell me his 'secret' because of what I said, it won't be right. He'll just be pushing himself for me and then everything will be all wrong.

I'm so depressed.

"Grrrrr-rrr." Eh?

"Sounds like someone's hungry." I hear Josh walk behind me when I yelp and hold onto my diminishing waist. "Did you want to get something to eat after?"