Chapter 64

"She'll be fine but I think you should take her home and make sure she eats, gets some sleep. She's pretty deprived in both those things, which can happen a lot near the end of the school year. Just make it priority she doesn't stress too much about exams ok?"

"Yes. Thank you." Sage's mom responds to the nurse. "Do I need to take home any work?"

"Yeah, but she can hand it in on Friday instead of tomorrow. It'll be fine." The teacher standing beside the two starts to lead them away from the door while I hold my head and try to figure out what's happening.

What just happened out there, why I'm sitting here next to Trey and Reen until the bell rings.

Why every time I lift up my hand and examine every inch of my palm, all of it just ends up shaking like this December weather is inside of me.

"Hoh-" I grab at my face again, top need to calm down and trust that she's going to be ok.

It's just food and sleep deprivation.

She'll be fine.

She's said so herself.

But she lied.

Didn't she?

"He doesn't look good either." Trey whispers to Reen as I drag my fingers through my hair and let my other wrist hang in between my knees, brunette locks pulled back at one side of my forehead when my friend decides to try and make me feel better. "She'll...be fine, bro."

That almost sounded like a question.

"Sage is hard headed sometimes. We all forget that, but we'll make her eat and sleep now."

Reen's comforting me too?

Fvck, I look pathetic, huh?

"She didn't get the rep she has now by bein' a pushover yaknow?" Trey's conviction to this is admirable, but it's not helping.

I don't give a sh1t how strong she is.

She's still in here in the end.

"Where you going?" He asks in response to me getting up and realizing I'm starting to get pretty agitated, looking at that nurse's office door where one of the male teachers carried Sage in after Trey brought them over, looking almost intimidating from where I'm standing.

They said she's awake now.

She's awake, but I don't know if I want to see her or not.

Naturally I'm anxious, but I don't know what I'll say, cuz I know I'll make it about me. I'll yell at her, I'll say things, and I've made those mistakes before.

But this is me, moving towards the end of the hall, pulling out my wallet so a dollar can unwrap in my hand just in time for me to use it on getting a snack out of the vending machine, my fingers blankly going to where my eyes are, when the sound comes along and bag of chips drop to the bottom for me to take and head over to the nurse's office anyway, knowing I wasn't given permission, but that doesn't even rate as a concern right now.

Not that it'd matter under normal circumstances either to be honest.

No, right now, it's about the door shutting behind me, leaving me alone and seeing Sage's back to my eyes; hair down now and top unzipped as well as loose near her waist, meaning I'll observe that low sloped white tank top which hugs on her figure just right.