Chapter 20

"Is everyone inside?" Coach Rob hustles all the kids into the bus while I avoid looking at Chandler, a few class mates texting me how unfair it that I get to go to the beach and they can't buzzes my cell, but in the end, I'm not at all excited.

Who would be?

It's just another reminder of how ruined we've become, how sad change is since I've been altered quite a bit.

It's sort of annoying that Chandler was right about that too.

About me, my dreams and aspirations.

"You don't look happy." I feel a pat on my shoulder, Logan's face, fresh in happiness grinning my way and I totally forgot he was working here now! "We're going to the beach and you can't stand the idea?"

"Well, I suppose in this case it can't really be helped." I'm aiming that at Chandler, his pale form boarding the bus without giving me a glance. "We?" I turn and tilt my stare towards my childhood friend. A person I've known even longer than Chandler.

Such a good person too.

"I have to come along." He shrugs a bit. "Keep an eye on these runts. Why are you going though?"

"I think I told you, didn't I? I'm volunteering to build up some experience. Shh." I wink and hold a finger up to my lips. "Mom's not supposed to know."

Logan mimics me with a smile under the trees near our school building.

"Won't tell." He promises.

"Ok, now you two. We'll be letting them swim mostly but the public beach houses are open to the public so they can go there to relax or get some lunch at the cafeterias, play at the game rooms." My mentor hands me and Logan a small pamphlet of the location we're going to.

I remember this. Just vaguely though.

"If you don't mind my asking, I thought field trips fell under different teachers. Why you?" I smile and watch him glimpse at both of us waiting for an honest reply.

Instead of a verbal one, I only see that British smile and grown up stare, a scoff bubbling out of me when I feel Logan brush my arm, bending down to grab my bag.

Such a gentleman! It makes me want to cry!

"You know you really don't have to." I fold my paper.

"It's not like it used to be Sage." Logan's sudden words take me off guard, the subject something I've sort of been struggling with recently that it's just not what I want to hear now. "You are growing up and I'm a nice person. I don't let women do the heavy work if I can help it."

"I bet that gets you places in college." I head towards the doors, the sun shining a bit too brightly for my liking but the birds in the sky are making it even out in perfection.

"It's not gotten me any girlfriends." He states.

Honestly that surprises me.

Logan is an extremely attractive guy, and there's that accent! It's also a bonus that he's sweet enough to want to help in ways like this best he can. Not to mention he's completely put together, smart, kind, decent...

Unlike someone.

Sh1t! Stop thinking about him!

A glance at him chuckling with Trey, his eyes squinting a bit before focusing on the cell in his hands a moment following with his palm resting on the chair in front of him, the gesture piercing my cheeks to turn red at how non-kid it is.