Chapter 54

"Sittin' in a tree, yo, yo, ehhhh, with the k-and the i, and s,s, ehhh-"

"I can't take it anymore!" I fall to the ground and try to catch my breath after Trey's...brutal attempt at a rap remix to the kissing song for 5 year olds is broadcasted while he dances in the hall. Honest, I can't do it anymore!

"What's wrong man? I mean I know you're not into Katelyn but, this will help generate vibes of coolness. I guaran-dang-tee it." He points to me when I grab a hold of his shirt and drag him down to my level. "Uh-Chandler-"

"Trey, listen closely-"

"You got that look in your eye; it's makin' me uncomfortable..." He begins to plead and tries to pull away when I get up and keep his collar in my fingers.

"The last three days, I've been hounded about when I started to get the feels for Katelyn, when I started noticing her, if she puts out, what my plan is to nail her and I'm getting fed up and it won't be long before my girlfriend will start looking for heads to hang around her neck, feel me? So you singing a song about us isn't putting you in a good situation. Yaknow?" I half shut my eyes and shrug while tilting my head and looking at his crouched self that seems like he's about to have a bladder accident.

"S-Sage is gettin' pissed?"

"Not yet." I hiss. "But she will." My hands let go when he's left to deal with the information.

Seriously, the last 3 days have been nothing but gossip; I thought it would've died by now.

"Chandler, can I ask you something? Best friend to best friend?"

Wow.

"Aha. Sure." I play along and give him a break. "What can I do ya for?"

"Well, you already cleared up the Katelyn thing with me, but I'm still sketchy on this Sage stuff. You told me you loved her, but I don't see why you actually go for the older chick. Is it that hot?"

Well...yes. But, haha.

"It's not about that. I actually just want Sage."

"Isn't she scary though? Like, sometimes anyway?"

"I guess. Though, probably not in the way you think. Why do you want to know?"

"Being honest, you're the first friend I've had to actually let me hang around him for a long time like this. I think we're reaching half a month soon as buds, so I think it's my job to make sure you're not being an idiot, even though I have no clue what I'm talking about." This scrawny guy shrugs when I chuckle at his well intentions. "I'll see what I can do about getting some bro's to shut up."

"Thanks." Not sure it'll make a difference, but it's nice to know he'll try.

"Hi Chandler." We both turn around towards Katelyn's figure, her attention something I haven't gotten since I told her to back away Monday. I guess she thought it was enough time.

"Hey Kate. What's up?" I lean on Trey the same way he leans on me while we both look at a clipboard she has in her hand ready to receive some ink. "What's that?"

"Our class is trying to sign a petition for the faculty to consider letting us start a Vernon Oaks School Paper covering gossip columns and all that other stuff. Thought you might like to put your name down. You too." She enlists Trey's support when I shrug and scribble down my signature since I don't care one way or another, my 'best friend' helping out when she gives a quick smile and walks away.