Episode 22

"Too slow!" My lungs literally feel like they're gonna bust from that belt and laughter, but I don't stop regardless of how my body's working over time, both of us running up a steep hill with grass and flowers decorating it's surface; a kite in my hands fighting the air current.

"I'm not too slow! You're legs are too long!" Chandler's eyes widen and his hair flies back to reveal his pale face with the sea breeze picking up its strength.

He just caught up with me too, but I'm not about to let him catch hold of my arm, so instead of staying still and fair, I press into running circles around him.

"Saaaaaaame thing!" I zoom, the sea sparkling away from us up until when I feel a struggle to hold the kite any longer, my hair getting in my face and hand letting loose of the ordinary red diamond flying device. Chandler's body halting to watch with me the second it begins traveling ferociously outwards.

For a 12 year old, he was pretty normal. He was pretty sweet and ordinary, but there was some depth of awareness that didn't dismiss things like a kite fluttering sloppily through the air, its body lingering towards the beach where others were enjoying themselves, until it took 3 sharp twirls downwards into a couples lap.

"Oh!" I shut my eyes as Chandler laughs beside me. "Sorry!!" My hands cup around my mouth to echo my apology better to the couple freaking out like a bomb dropped on them.

"That was so worth it." My 3 year younger companion giggles at first, then chuckles, only for me to watch him bend over, holding his stomach and break into a loud laugh before puberty deepened his voice, that wind lifting his bangs to show all his freckles. "That was awesome!" He runs straight for me, and I literally thought I was going to die from him grabbing hold of my body so he could impact us straight down the hill, rolling all the way to the bottom when we joined in hysterical sounds of having fun.

I remember my jaw hurt so badly from smiling so much.

"Hey...Sage?" Chan rolled onto his back and stared upwards with me, our eyes feasting on that blue sky with clouds blown and puffed to utter grace.

"Yeah Chandler?"

"You're my best friend. My only friend." He says without sadness but utter clarity.

"You're my best friend too." I assure. "But not my only friend. I am popular you know."

"I don't know why."

"Shh! You're not supposed to yet." I shut my eyes at the sun.

It really was perfect back then. It really was a different time, when something wasn't altered, or meddled with. We were kids, and weren't on the threshold of adulthood or hard times.

We had it made.

We had each other.

We were...genuine.

He was my friend.

Chandler Riggs was my friend.

So long ago, he was.

Oh Chandler...what happened?

"Hey. Sage?"

"Mm?" I hum with my arms mimicking his bent under his head.