N i n e t y - s i x

"Four."
"Five."
"Six."

"Seven." I whispered softly as I leaned towards Taylor. She smiled up at me, knowing I still kept up with the most cruel joke I could ever thought of. Every number, every single time the same things happen, somehow they always end up being far worse than the other. Ever since it was six times, she started spewing, or coughing blood before she passes out. It's harsh and selfish but I still want her to keep going.

I wish I didn't remember "that count" but apparently, and most unfortunately I do.

"I thought six was the last." She joked, her voice awfully weak.

I smiled, but I know my eyes told her that it wasn't just a joke to me. It hurts to see her like this, it hurts so much that she expects everytime her eyes close, she won't be able to open them. It sucks to know that she thinks that way but I can't blame her anymore.

I can't describe how weaker she looked. I don't even know how she can get any worse than the days before. If she can look much more awful than before, that's exactly how it went.

"You're not going away that easily." I said, also trying to reassure her. She's not going away, that's it. "At least not at Lou's birthday."

"Oh." Taylor paused and bit her lip. "What did I miss?"

"Alison and Louis arguing about which came first, egg or chicken. Two teams playing nerf gun shoot-outs, I got hit almost every step I took." She laughed at that. "And ermm, Alison winning in UNO almost anytime I check." I scratched the back of my head. "And the, uhh, baking time."

"What?!" She exclaimed, finally, at least a tiny bit, there was strength visible in her voice. "I was looking forward to that!"

"Well, then, look forward to eating them later. Don't you dare faint."

She laughed like everything was a joke. I would rather believe it too, maybe, but I can't.

"I won't."

I lied beside her, resting my chin on her shoulder and my hand around her waist. Her floral scent rushed through me with every breath. For a time, we stayed still and quiet.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"How are you feeling?" She said, returning that question.

"I asked first."

"Not as good but I'll be fine. You?"

Not good. I wanted to answer that but I didn't. "As fine as you are." I replied, I think I just said the same thing.

I took a deep breath and moved a little to kiss her on the lips again. When I pulled away, I made sure our foreheads were still touching. Breathless as she was, she managed to give me a smile. "Stay with me, okay?" I said, out of my fast breathing.

"Promise." She replied.

She promised. She promised. She promised.

And then I lied back to where I was. I smirked at her, "So do you want to go downstairs? I think you should already be wearing your Christmas sweater."

She smiled. With one last kiss on the cheek, she went towards her closet while saying, "Fine, I'll go change."

The moment we went downstairs, Taylor was immediately greeted by Louis. He threw his arms around her saying, "Finally awake."

"How long was I out?" She asked wryly.

"About, I dunno, Harry?"

"Five hours." I replied.