N i n e t y - f i v e

After midnight, the place was still alive. Of course, the children were already sleeping inside Mr. and Mrs. Swift's room while the rest of us were downstairs, still enjoying the warmth from the fireplace and each other's company.

As Louis was telling a story that I've never heard before, Taylor was holding onto my arm. At first, I thought it was simply a gesture so I ignored it but then she was moving closer and her grip was getting tighter. I saw how her head went down as her breathing became a bit uneven.

I leaned in close to her, "Are you alright, love?"

She shook her head. She exhaled with difficulty and I could see her eyes turning glassy. "Can we please leave?" She asked, it was more of a plea.

I gulped hard and faced the rest. Lou and El doesn't know, "Sorry, Lou but if you won't mind, Taylor and I would like to go upstairs now."

He nodded. "Sure, night, White Queen." He said.

Taylor and I stood up and I moved my arm around her waist to support her. I didn't make it too obvious as I knew Lou would be watching. "N-Night Lou." She said and forced out a smile. I know for a fact that Lou didn't meet her eyes.

I stayed quiet and I was fighting back the the upset feeling churning inside my stomach. My legs were wobbly yet the thought of my support to Taylor right now is what kept it strong enough. Finally, we got inside the room.

Taylor sat on the edge, every once in a while, she's flinch, wince and let out a quiet sob. We've been through this a little too much these past few days, yet everytime it happens it just seemed worse than the one before. Tears continuously fell from her electric blue eyes, I didn't pay too much attention on that as everytime I see it, things inside me keeps me frozen. . . I shouldn't be, not in the time she needs me to move.

I searched through her drawers, I know exactly which medicine to take and that bottled water from one of the bags. I rushed towards her and gave those to her. She immediately took those painkillers and drank some water.

It was only after a couple of minutes when she calmed down.

My throat felt dry, I was completely out of words. Taylor leaned her head back and then her whole body to the bed. "Oh God." She mumbled and them closed her eyes. She breathed heavily for a little while.

I couldn't ask her if she's fine, because I know she isn't. I couldn't ask her if it hurts because I know it does. The only thing I could do is be there for her. . . that's it.

And then she opened her eyes. She sat up again and leaned her head on my shoulder. She reached for my hand and held it tight. She took a deep breath. "Are you really going to stay and watch me grow worse?"

"It'll be better." I promised.

"You don't believe that." She whispered quietly. As much as my logical side of the brain says I really don't, another side says I can just keep hoping and holding on, maybe it will get better soon. I don't know which to believe. . . but I have to believe on the second one.

"I have to."

"But, you don't."

"How'd you tell?"

"I just can."

I grinned, but it wasn't because I was happy or feeling good, I was nowhere near that. "So can you tell that I want to believe it?" I asked, because I really do.

"Yeah." She whispered. "But make sure you don't hang on false hopes."

"If you're going to tell me that hoping for you to live long with me is a false hope, then I'd rather not hear it." I said, I felt tensed and she never liked it when I'm like that. I sighed heavily and relaxed my shoulders. I slowly leaned to the bed and took her with me. And then we both adjusted ourselves.