30.

Evi

Evi.

I stared at the ceiling, swinging my legs back and forth above me. I could not sleep at all last night, I probably got an hour of sleep.

I stayed up the whole night, reading the last of my dad's letters and the very last one his number was in. I was so nervous to call that I just decided to see if he was really Reed's brother in law today instead.

I even did heel stretches and splits earlier. I hadn't stretched in so long and the stiffness was so painful. Besides, I didn't have anything else to do from my lack of ability to go to sleep.

It was an awkward feeling knowing my acquaintance might be my step aunt and that my dad would marry such a much younger woman–and impregnate her. Then again, it was common for men to have young children in an older age. I know one of my grade teachers did.

I looked over at Reed as she slept peacefully. It was five o'clock in the morning and I was wide awake, butterflies filling my stomach viciously. I flipped my body on the slightly uncomfortable bed to lay on my stomach.

I sat my chin on my hands, staring out the window with a small grin. I shrieked, pumping my fists and sighed calmly and loudly. 

"Evi, shhh." Reed groaned. I turned towards her and she turned her back towards me, pulling her covers up on her body. I quieted down and laid the side of my face on the pillow, forcing my eyes closed.

Finally! Nine o'clock had swung around and the families would start pouring in, in thirty minutes. I had took a shower—twice, I'm really acting abnormal — and got dressed in khaki slim pants with a navy blue sweater once I had did my routine of hygiene.

I pulled my hair through the ponytail hair band to the middle of my head and straightened it out with my hand. I looked in the mirror, running my hands over my cheeks and smiled.

It's time Evi, it's at last time, I thought.

"You coming daddy's girl?" I faced Reed as she joked, standing in the doorway. I sniggered and nodded, following behind her.

Everyone was gathered in the front of the facility as the administrators stood in the middle of the circle. "Okay girls, we all know you are very excited to see your families! We're excited for you! Everything looks good and clean so that's great, good job morning crew! Have fun and don't forget the cookout starts at twelve o'clock!"

Everyone nodded in understanding as another attendant began speaking sincerely to ones about if their family didn't show, don't feel bad or alone and went into details what they could do for the day. Overly confident, I just hoped I wouldn't be among that group.

It was five minutes before the doors open and I was very overwhelmed–nearly hyperventilating at the moment.

"You're really nervous." Reed stated the obvious. I simply nodded, rubbing my hands together. "I just hope it's him on your behalf."