27.

Evi

Evi.

"So uh..you seen T?" This Big Will guy interrogated Jue. Jue shook his head.

"No."

"So you mean to tell me you haven't seen your brother in nearly two months?" 

"That's exactly what I'm telling you." He pressed the gun into Jue's neck. Jue looked off to the side as Big Will smirked. I only watched from behind Jue.

"Catch ya tongue, it's slipping." He put the gun down to his side slowly. He finally averted his eyes to me. "And who might this be?"

"Just a friend."

"What's your name beautiful?" Should I tell him my real name or a fake identity. Jue side eyed me, both awaiting for me to answer.

"Evi."

"Ahh unique, I like it. How old are you lil mama?"

"Just turned nineteen today." I leaned my head to the side. He nodded, licking his lips as he examined me. He had to be well up in his twenties.

"Legal, too? Man oh man." He looked at Jue then the other guys. "Well, how about you two hurry home. It's pretty dangerous out hea'." His gang of guys laughed at his statement as he only held a smugly smirk.

"Will do." Jue answered, grabbing my wrist and dragging me along.

"What—"

"Don't ask and don't look, just come." He said as we kept walking. After awhile, we made it home safely. We sat around drinking a glass a water before going to bed–he let me take his room tonight as he took the couch.

I took another shower and climbed into his soft, plush bed that was drenched in his cologne. It wasn't long before I was fast asleep.

•   °   •  °

I was woken by faint singing of Happy Birthday. Thinking it was for myself, I sat up in the bed and stretched, looking towards the door. I waited a moment but it never opened. 

Hmm, maybe I'm hearing things. I shrugged it off and stood from the bed, making my way to the restroom. I did my usual morning routine of brushing my teeth, applying deodorant, lip balm, and lotion. I decided to put my hair into two separate cornrows.

I still heard slight cheers coming from the front room as I got dressed sluggishly. My dressing had become a lot more baggy than it was back home in Toronto. I zipped up both of my suitcases and duffle bag, making sure to grab my basketball with everything else.

I juggled it all through Jue's bedroom doors and rolled it to the front door. I turned to see everyone crowded in the kitchen. I walked in slowly, looking around. I saw balloons with 1 on them, small boxes of presents then my eyes finally fell on Tevon as he had a wide smile.