【 EDITED 】 Forty-Two

[Edited: July 7, 2018]

***

[TRIGGER WARNING]

***

"Muffled Screams"

Jungkook's POV

"Jimin-hyung, what's wrong?" I immediately asked my best friend once I saw him in his room, sitting on his bed, crying.

It was his ninth birthday and he was having a party. A lot of people came; some of our schoolmates, but mostly his relatives.

For some reason, Jimin's dad didn't take the day off, so he ended up coming home late to his own son's party. Once he finally arrived though, he came with Jimin's aunt.

His mom seemed to be enjoying herself until her husband arrived with her sister. The elated vibe she had abruptly changed. It was as if her face was falling, breaking.

She seemed to be breaking.

I never understood that back then.

I didn't really expect that since it was the love of her life with another loved one of hers. Why wouldn't she be happy to see them?

And although I was very young at that time, I still knew there was something wrong about that.

Jimin thought so too. No one else noticed but me that Jimin went upstairs and locked himself in his room. That's why I went to check on him.

"Jimin?" I asked again, sitting next to him and tapping him on the shoulder. I tilted my head a little to look at his face. He tried hard to pretend he wasn't crying, but we both knew that I knew him all too well for that sort of façade to work on me.

"Leave me alone," he covered his face with his hands and his voice cracked as soon as he said the word 'alone'. I felt my heart break by hearing that and seeing him in such a state. He couldn't help but cry even harder as I scooted a little bit closer to him though he just tried to push me away.

"Jimin, what's wrong?"

"Please . . . Just go."

"But Jimin"

"Just leave me alone!" He looked up at me and I wished he hadn't because as soon as I saw his eyes, I almost cried myself.

How can someone be so damaged at such a young age? It hurt to see him like that. He didn't deserve to be like that.

And it sucked that I didn't know the reason in the first place.

So I kept pushing. I kept asking. Because that's all I could do. Be there for him and try to get him to open up and share his pain. He didn't deserve to carry all that weight on his shoulders alone.

I wish I'd never stop trying to understand him when I fianlly got older. I wish I hadn't left him when I fell in love with someone else. I wish I had saved him from his dad all those times instead of wasting my time with another girl.