A Long Expected Announcement

They were brought their packs from Bill the Pony after being led by Lash down to two former prison cells where there were now two beds and a rug each. Oil lamps and a few candles provided light to the dark rooms. Maglor and Elladan took the room to the right, Míril and Elrohir taking the one to the left of it.

"Your pony will be stabled with Gnasher's horses," Lash told them as he closed the iron doors to either cell. "Sleep now. Water and food is being prepared for you when you wake."

As the large iron door with a single sliding window closed on their room, Míril yawned and sat on her bed. Elrohir was looking through his saddle bag for something.

They were silent. Míril was contemplating something very important. She was deciding if now was the time? She wasn't sure when next she would have time alone with her husband.

It was time he knew. Soon enough, if she didn't tell him herself, he would see the change. She could already tell herself. Her clothes were getting tighter and her appetite was growing. She took more water than she had needed before. She was almost three months in.

"Elrohir, melda," she began hesitantly.

The other half elf stopped rummaging through his pack, sensing the apprehension in her voice. He stood and looked at her lovingly.

"What is the matter?" He asked her with nothing but concern in his voice, sitting beside her on her bed.

She sighed and looked at her lap. "Do not be angry, please."

Now Elrohir was confused. "Why should I be angry?"

Míril stood from her bed and paced forward, wringing her hands together. How should she start? She turned to look him in the eye.

"Elrohir, love. I am with child."

A mix of shock, excitement, joy, and fear crossed his face. He opened his mouth and closed it. Finally he leapt up and embraced Míril tightly.

"This is wonderous news!" He took her hands in his. "When did you figure this out?"

"Galadriel told me," she said. "I have known since they left."

Elrohir took a step back and looked at her in shock yet again.

"You knew before the journey? Mir, we should have stayed home then!" He frowned.

She shook her head enthusiastically. "We are where we need to be. This child will never be safe until the threat we are up against is gone. I know that."

Elrohir placed his hand above her womb. He strained a smile as he looked at his hand. Finally he lifted his eyes to his wife's.

"Our child has such a strong mother." He nodded. "We will ensure his or her safety."

Míril felt a tear drip down her cheek. She smiled and wrapped her arms around Elrohir with a happy sob.

"When shall we tell the other two?" Miril asked him.

"When we see them next! But for now." He placed a hand under her chin and lifted her face to his. "For now, we rest."

They slept in their beds for a few hours, awoken only when a small knocking sounded on their iron door. Elrohir stood and opened it for the newcomer as Miril rubbed her eyes and sat up in her bed.

Elladan, Maglor, and three young men with food and drink stood outside the door.

"Gnasher sends food," one man told them. "These two wanted to eat with you."

Elrohir stood aside and allowed the whole posse into the small room. The food and drink was left on the floor. Soon just the four elven folk were left.

"Did you two sleep well?" Maglor asked them as Míril got out of bed and joined the three on the floor for dinner.

Elrohir smiled. "We did indeed."

Elladan looked at them in confusion. "What's all the smiling about?"

Míril chuckled. Elrohir beckoned for her to go ahead.

She smiled and blushed. "I am with child."

Elladan stared at her blankly before laughing and grabbing his sister by union in a giant hug.

"Míril! This is excellent news!" He grinned at his brother. "Congratulations my dearest friends."

Maglor smiled a small smile and dipped his head to them in congratulations. Yet his expression was one of cautiousness.

"While this is certainly good news," he told them, "it is also one for concern. Your health is now of utmost importance, and we have a long journey ahead of us."

"This is true," Elrohir agreed. "You must tell us when you need anything. Food, water, rest!"

Míril smiled and shook her head. "The most important thing is that we finish this quest. The Silmaril must be found and the evil in the South defeated."

"And the safety of your child," Elladan added. "That must be of top importance as well."

"Of course," she agreed wholeheartedly.

They continued to eat and trade small conversations. Maglor noted that Míril indeed ate more and drank more than she used too. He was surprised he had not picked up on the signs sooner.

It was nearly night by the time they had finished eating. Míril guessed they must have slept many hours before eating based on this fact. It was too late to go trading for food and water. They decided to spend time together instead.

"Maglor," Míril began as she saw his pack nearby. "You're pack has always seemed so heavy. What could you possibly have in there?"

Maglor looked where she was pointing in confusion. His eyes rested on his decorated second travel bag and he sighed.

"That is my lyre. One of the few things I have saved from Valinor." He reached over and pulled his pack next to him.

They watched curiously as he unbuckled his pack and gingerly drew out the instrument. It was a beautiful dark wood decorated with blue gemstones. The strings were shining silver, perhaps strands of hair from a Telerin master lyrist

Míril inhaled with a hiss. It was gorgeous. The way Maglor held the instrument was like a father with a child. She had not seen him like this before. She caught him smiling a little as he brushed his hands over the wood.

"That is beautiful, Maglor," Elrohir nodded.

"Play us something," she begged of him. "Please, Maglor!"

He frowned and sighed. "Tonight?"

"We are celebrating, after all," Elladan added with a wink at Míril.

Maglor rolled his eyes. "Very well. But I shall not sing."

And so he began to pluck the strings. Beautiful music floated from the instrument and filled the room. He played a song that was so emotionally charged, Míril could not figure out if it made her happy or sad. It had a kind of forlorn melody, but the harmonies beneath it were ones of brighter days.

They listened for nigh on an hour. Occasionally, the little peep window would slide slowly open just a crack as some passerby wanted to know what was going on. The music put Míril to sleep and Elrohir smiled as he picked her up, slowly and carefully, placing her on the bed she had been given.

Elladan watched Maglor with hidden fascination. This elf had raised his father. This elf had seen Valinor. History remembered this elf as the second greatest muscian ever, behind only Daeron of Doriath, Luthien's minstrel.

The half elf watched as Maglor's eyes were far from Thaurband. They were traveling through fields and forests of ages long past. The music took him there. Elladan wished he had lived to see those days. Though he supposed there was plenty of heart break to go along with the splendor of the Elder Days and first age.

Maglor ended his song quietly and, without a word, slipped his lyre back into the decorated bag. He noticed that Míril was asleep and almost smiled. Almost.