The Lord of Waters

A/N: HUGELY important chapter here. Don't miss it! Dream sequence is in italics.

Water was all around her, stretching endlessly in all directions. But where there should have been land or sky, there was only a vast white expanse. If it hadn't been for the water, she wouldn't not have known that it was a huge area. She stood, barefoot, in the clear, shallow water. It was neither particularly warm or cold to the touch, instead rather pleasant.

Miril began to hear several voices around her.

"She's a strange little thing. You sure it's her?"

"Namo was quite clear."

"Not someone... bigger?"

Miril spun around trying to locate the voices.

"Be nice, Ossë," said the second of the two voices.

The first replied. "I just think that someone stronger would be better, Uinen."

"She is who has been chosen," said a new voice, deep and endless like the sea.

Miril cowered for a moment before speaking up. "Hello? Who's there?"

"I am."

A huge figure began to rise out of the vast water, taking the shape of a man clothed in greenish-blue scales and holding a trident. He was tall, at least eight feet high, with hair both silver and black. His eyes were a deep blue like the ocean.

Miril gaped at him in wonder. As she looked at this... person... two others, smaller, rose from the water beside him. One was male, silver haired and clothed in deep blues. The other was female, golden haired and dressed in light turquoise and white.

"Who are you?" Miril finally managed to ask.

"I am known as Ulmo to you," said the tallest, obviously the leader. "These are Ossë and Uinen, two of my Maiar."

Miril nearly fell to her knees. Ulmo! The Lord of Waters was here, talking to her!

She stammered. "How? Why?"

"How is actually more complicated than I would like. Irmo is allowing me to communicate through your dream. Unfortunately my power has waned in Middle Earth with the sundering of your land from ours. Combined with my power, Irmo's power of dreams can let us communicate near water." Ulmo paused. "As for why, I wished to aid you as much as I can on your quest. And to deliver one of Namo's dooms."

"Thank you, lord!" she was still stunned over the revelation that she was standing in the presence of a Vala and two Maiar.

"First, the doom that Mandos has declared I pronounce." Ulmo paused for emphasis. "The Valar have decreed that if you find the Silmaril, and if you are found worthy by it, you will be permitted to cross over the sea and come to Valinor."

Miril gasped. "They would lift the ban?"

"Indeed. For only the good may possess a Silmaril without being burned." Ulmo continued after a moment. "Remember this as you continue on your way, young Peredhel. Do not make the mistakes of your forefathers and allow vengeance to consume you. You have the chance to obtain what they could not- the Blessed Realm. Do not throw that away. To help you, I will do my best to guide you. My two companions here, Ossë and Uinen, will also help you. Wherever this is water, my spirit goes with you. Never forget that."

"Thank you, my lord. Thanks to all of you," Miril bowed low, going on one knee before them. "I shall do my best."

"Keep your eyes on the Valar, Miril Fёanoriel, and you shall complete this task. But stray even a little from the path destined for you and all will crumble," Ulmo cryptically told her.

The dream began to fade as the water disappeared and all went black.

"Miril!"

She yawned and sat up in the dark. Her branch had long gone out but she saw a light coming near her. "Elrohir?"

"Where in the name of the Valar have you been?" the half-elf all but shouted, running towards her and helping her up. "Why did you come in here?!"

"That's a long story, I'm afraid," she murmured, mulling over the dream in her head. "Let us get back to the others first."

And so they left the cavern, Elrohir leading the way with the torch. Once outside they found Maglor and Elladan looking in various places nearby. Both looked at her in irritation.

"You cannot just wander off, Mir!" Elladan insisted. "You scared us all to death when we woke to find you gone!"

"It can't have been long," Miril protested.

"We woke up three hours ago." Maglor told her. "What were you doing in that cave?"

"I had a dream," Miril admitted, sitting down on the large log she'd used the night before. "In it, you won't believe this. In it, Lord Ulmo spoke to me. He told me that if we complete our task and the Silmaril finds me worthy, the Valar will permit me to cross over the sea!"

The twins looked at her in amazement but Maglor was nodding.

"I have known this spot was something special since I stumbled upon it. Important, somehow. That is why I have remained here." Maglor sighed. "So this is it then. The possibility of redemption for the line of Fёanor."

"Please help us, Maglor," Miril pleaded, standing up and taking his good hand. "Together the four of us, we can defeat the evil in the South. We can save Middle Earth and bring honor to the name of Fёanor!"

With a sigh, Maglor nodded. "I can see that this is what has been ordained for me to do. Perhaps I can help bring something good to my father's legacy. You will be that legacy, Miril."

"I will gladly restore the name of Fёanor to something good." Miril nodded with a smile. "Just say yes."

Maglor sighed again. "Very well. We eat and then pack. Let us leave before the afternoon is over."

Miril smiled and turned to the twins. They too were smiling and together the four companions began to eat a late breakfast of bread and cheese and leftover meat. Once that was done, they packed up the horses and Miril told Maglor to mount Bruidal. She would ride with Elrohir. They were going to ditch the horses in Ithilien anyways, after Dol Amroth and on the way to Mordor. Within a few hours, they were riding South to the havens.