Into the Woods

Miril woke around the same time as the Twins. Both half elves were strapping on their weapons and finishing the last bites of breakfast as she got up.

"Do be careful," Miril said solemnly. "You two mean more to me than almost anyone."

Elladan hugged her and promised they'd be fine. He reminded her to be careful as well. Afterwards he went to find their horses, leaving Elrohir and Miril alone.

"Mir," Elrohir signed. "Yours is a dangerous mission. More dangerous than ours. You must be extra careful."

Miril nodded. "I can do this, mellonin."

"I know." He smiled sadly. "You are brave and strong, Miril. I do not doubt this. But there is evil in this world more powerful than you or I."

She sighed and nodded in agreement. "You must trust in the Valar. Trust that the good will triumph over the enemy."

"And so I do," he said. "This is why I can even bear to see you leave. For I know we will see each other again. Perhaps not soon, but only the Valar know the hour of our next meeting. Maybe it will be sooner than we think."

Miril smiled a small smile and took Elrohir's hand in hers. She squeezed it tight.

"No matter where I go," she told him, "you will always be in my heart, mellonin."

"And you in mine, little one. Let Elbereth guide you and you shall make your way home to us," Elrohir smiled.

He placed a kiss on her head and let his hand slide from hers as Elladan rounded the corner with their horses.

"Farewell, little one," Elrohir nodded as he mounted up.

Elladan waved as he too climbed atop his horse. "Stay safe, mellonin. Come home to Rivendell in one piece."

Miril bowed. "I shall. Safe travels."

With a final goodbye, the twin sons of Elrond rode off through the gates of Caras Galadhon. Their path was a different one from hers, but Miril knew she would see them again. They had a part to play in this quest as much as she. They would just be apart for awhile.

Sadly she turned to finish her own breakfast. As she ate the last remnants of the food, she double checked her stash of lembas that the Lady Galadriel had provided her with. Confident in the knowledge that it was packed, she picked up her pack and strapped on her cloak. She had decided yesterday to leave Daeroch in Lothlorien. It was safer for him there. Mirkwood was no place for a horse. She stopped by the stables go say farewell to Daeroch. The horse seemed to know she would be leaving, for he nuzzled up to her as soon as she came within reach.

"I'll see you soon, boy." She smiled. "But you are luckier than I! You get to stay in Lothlorien!"

Once she'd hugged him one last time, Miril made her way to the gates of Caras Galadhon. She was surprised when the Lady Galadriel was there waiting.

"I wished to tell you this before you left: the next time we meet, I may have answers. Speak to me then." Galadriel nodded. "Best of luck, Miril Lominzil. May Elbereth guide your way back to us."

"Thank you, my lady," Miril said with a bow. "You have been more than kind to me."

"Namarië." Lady Galadriel spoke the traditional Quenya word for farewell and waved her hand as Miril walked down the path.

Once outside she was joined up with an elven scout who told her he would show her to the border closest to Mirkwood, the Eastern edge. The journey would take them a day and a half, but once they reached the border Miril found herself reluctant to leave.

"Thank you," she said with a nod to the scout. "Your help has been most appreciated."

The scout disappeared back into the woods swiftly and silently after he was dismissed. Miril looked out from the border of the trees and saw, perhaps half a day's march east, the border of Mirkwood forest.

"And so it begins," she muttered to herself as she took a step out from under the shadow of the mellyrn trees.

Because she had left Lothlorien at midday, she ended up reaching the dark borders of Mirkwood Forest after the last light of day had dispersed. The trees looked blacker than night and Miril began to wonder if this had been a good idea to begin with. She could feel the shadow of the Enemy all around her, pressing up against her, and she wasn't even very close to Dol Guldor. But she knew she had a job to do, so she steeled her nerves and took a step under the canopy.

And immediately took a step back out. She decided with better judgement to camp outside the forest that night. And so she did, her back to the open plains and her face to the dark woods. She slept little, but did manage to gain some rest at least. When morning dawned she felt much better about entering that forsaken forest.

While still very dark, Miril found she could make out enough around her to properly track something which was a relief. When she'd gotten a glimpse last night, she thought for sure her mission had ended before it'd begun because she hadn't been able to make out the forest floor well enough.

Immediately, Miril noticed several things. The first was the lack of bird noises. Bird song usually was audible in any forest. It was a sign of a healthy ecosystem. But Miril heard little to none in Mirkwood. Second, she noted the ground was steadily sloping upwards based on what she could see in front of her. For now it was very subtle, but as she walked it increased greatly. And finally, she noticed a scuttling noise barely within earshot, but definitely there. It sounded like dozens of feet moving around in the dead leaves.

She would have to be very careful. For despite the decay and dilapidation of the woods, something was clearly alive in here. Something other than her.

Miril continued to make her way silently forward until she became very concerned with how far up the land was sloping. She decided it was best to climb a tree and take a look around, for she feared the worst.

She leapt upwards and grabbed hold of the lowest branch. Swinging herself forward, she caught the trunk of the tree with her legs and inched upwards until she was standing on the low branch. Now the climbing was easier. As she reached the top and broke through the canopy, she looked forward and her fears were confirmed.

In her rush to find Gollum and her lack of knowledge of Southern Mirkwood, Miril had ended up heading straight for Dol Guldor. It was now about a three hour's walk from her current location, straight forward. She had known to check because she knew it was built on a hill and the incline gave it away.

The sun was almost setting on her first day in Mirkwood so she quickly scuttled down the tree. She had to options. First, she could head towards Dol Guldor in the hopes of finding a trace of Gollum. It was a likely place for him to be. Or she could hope to stumble over a track he left in the dead leaves around her. Neither option was a good option, that was for certain.

"I'll make that choice in the morning," she said to herself quietly. "For now I need to find a place to rest for the night."

In the end she decided to do as the Galadhrim did and sleep in a tree. Without someone set on watch, she didn't want to risk sleeping on the ground. The tree would provide at least a little safety for her. Getting out the rope the Galadhrim had given to her, she tied it to her waist and then to the trunk of the tree.

A/N: And so we say a sad farewell to the Twins for the time being :( We probably won't see them for a good deal of time, at least not interacting with Miril. But they will appear in flashbacks!