A Hope Unlooked For

"Gandalf!" Aragorn shouted in joy and surprise. "Gandalf! You have returned, beyond hope and unlooked for."

The old man laughed. "Indeed, my friends."

"Gandalf, forgive me," Gimli begged. "I thought you were Saruman!"

"I suppose it is to be excused," Gandalf smiled. "We do look quite similar now. One might even say I am Saruman- as he should have been. And anyways, none of your weapons could harm me."

"Mithrandir," Miril smiled, tears in her eyes. "How came you back to us? When Aragorn told me of your passing, I thought all hope was lost."

The first time Miril ever met Gandalf was at the age of five. She and her brother were living still at the settlement with Halbarad and Aragorn north of the Shire. One day, Aragorn returned from his travels with the grey wizard.

"So you are little Miril," Gandalf said with a smile, shaking the little girl's hand. "I am Gandalf."

"Hi Mister Gandalf, sir." Miril nodded at him. "Can you do any magic, since you're a wizard?"

"Indeed I can. Perhaps someday you will see it," he laughed. "Until then, here."

Gandalf reached into his pocket and drew out a tiny wooden carving of a horse. It was made of silvery-white birch wood with two black, onyx eyes. Miril squealed in glee and took the miniature.

"Thank you, Gandalf sir!"

"Only the foolish despair," Gandalf said before laughing. "It is good to see you again, Miril. As for my return... I will not speak of it just yet, though the Lady Galadriel helped much. She sent the Eagle to find me."

"Ah!" Legolas nodded. "So that was the great bird we saw circling far from the mountains."

"Yes. Gwaihir the Windlord assisted me. I had him gather news." Gandalf smiled. "But now, tell me of your journey since we were separated. I know much, but not all."

They sat and spoke about many things for awhile. Aragorn did the talking, Miril, Legolas, and Gimli sitting by and adding interjections when appropriate. They spoke of the Ring and Frodo and Sam. They spoke of the hunt and of Éomer. Finally, they asked the question hot on their hearts.

"Do you have news of Merry and Pippin?" Miril asked at length. "Did you find them?"

Gandalf shook his head. "I did not. But Treebeard did. They are in good hands. Their coming has set an avalanche in motion and already I hear the first rumblings. Saruman best be far from home when the dam breaks."

"You always speak in riddles, Gandalf." Aragorn smiled and shook his head.

"Riddles? Nay."

Gandalf went on to explain that Merry and Pippin had run into Treebeard, or Fangorn, the eldest Ent in Middle Earth and unofficial ruler of Fangorn Forest, if put in simplistic, human terms. He was gathering many Ents together to attack Isengard.

"Wait a minute!" cried Gimli. "There is another thing that I should like to know first. Was it you, Gandalf, or Saruman that we saw last night?"

"Well it certainly wasn't me. I would guess it was Saruman, or Radagast perhaps. More likely Saruman." Gandalf shrugged. "Evidently we look so much alike now that your desire to put an incurable dent in my hat is excusable."

They spoke of Treebeard and the ents, of whither they would go now. Gandalf told them they should accompany him to Edoras where they would meet with Theoden of Rohan.

Gandalf then stood a spoke. "Messages I bring to you from Lady Galadriel. To Aragorn I was bidden to say this:

"Where now are the Dúnedain, Elessar, Elessar? Why do thy kinsfolk wander afar?
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, and the Grey Company ride from the North. But dark is the path appointed for thee: The Dead watch the road that leads to the Sea."

Aragorn looked troubled. What did Lady Galadriel mean?

"To Legolas she sent this word: Legolas Greenleaf long under tree In joy thou hast lived. Beware of the Sea! If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore, Thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more."

Legolas grimaced. Gimli waited on bated breath for his. Miril waited for hers as well.

"To Gimli she said this: Lock-bearer, wherever thou goest my thought goes with thee. But have a care to lay thine axe to the right tree!"

Gimli grinned widely. He clapped his hands.

Gandalf then turned to Miril, a knowing look on his face. He spoke again.

"To Miril Lominzil, she sent this: Forget not your kindred nor those who love you. For you will need them. And above all, remember who you are."

Miril looked solemnly at Gandalf. She could tell that he knew that she knew about her ancestry now. She wondered how this would affect her relationship with Gandalf. Would he still trust her? Would he support her?

"Come. We must get moving." Gandalf stood from where he had been sitting.

"It is a long walk go Edoras," Legolas muttered.

Gandalf laughed. "I will not walk. Come!"

They followed Gandalf out of the forest, wondering what he meant. They were quite curious when at last they were out in the open and he halted. He gave a long, shrill whistle that cut through the chilled air definitively. Before too long they saw a magnificent stallion, grey coated, swiftly gallop up go Gandalf. Behind him, their three horses came, though slower, to stand before the company.

"This is Shadowfax, Lord of the Mearas. He is fleet of foot and swift like the wind." Gandalf mounted up. "Come! We must be going!"

The four hunters mounted their horses and took off behind the great steed. Miril was tired, but no longer exhausted. The good news she had learned about the two hobbits had revitalized her spirit. As she sped behind Gandalf, the White Rider, she marveled at the speed of his horse. Shadowfax was truly a magnificent creature.

Day turned into night. They kept riding, taking periodic breaks to rest the ordinary horses at a light trot, but most times they were at a gallop. They had to reach Edoras. They had to reach Theoden.