The Elven Host

A/N: The next several chapters will continue the domestic, calm events of the past few. But don't worry. It'll dive into the next quest pretty soon.

Miril dressed in her now clean tunic and a new black cloak the next morning early before dawn. When she had finished dressing, the sun was just peeking through the window panes. As she placed her circlet on her head, Miril wondered not for the first time what Elrond would think of her betrothal to his son. Considering Elrohir proposed with the brooch without consenting his father, things could go wrong. Especially because of who and what she was.

With a sigh, she rose from where she had sat by the window and strapped Galmegil onto her belt. The black and silver scabbard complemented her grey and black outfit, giving her a look of a true warrior. She opened the door to the stairwell and took it down to the throne room. There she met up with the Twins.

"Éomer is with his people, preparing them for departure," Elladan told her.

"Here," Elrohir handed her a roll with butter, "Eat quickly. We leave soon."

Miril nodded and ate the bread as they walked through the White Tower and out into the lower streets. The town was still mostly aslee though the sun was rising swiftly.

Miril reckoned the trip to Édoras would take about four days. Not too long at all. The host would move swiftly to arrive when the elves did. As they reached the stables where their three horses were housed, Miril finished up her breakfast and tacked up Bruidal. At last she mounted up on her and followed the twin Sons of Elrond out into the road down to the gates. There they met Éomer atop his horse Firefoot. He had placed his men in formation and was ready to depart.

"Are you ready, my friends?" King Éomer asked them as they rode to the front of the host.

"Let us be off," Elladan nodded.

Éomer had his standard bearer blow the horn to signal departure. As one the group began to move. They eventually picked up speed and moved at a reasonable pace across the Pelennor Fields back the way the Rohirrim had originally come to Gondor.

Days passed and the host rode on. They stopped each night and set up camp, but nothing of note happened on the trip to Édoras. It was quiet most of the time. Míril was too busy thinking about the words she and Aragorn had exchanged regarding her fate and the Silmaril. She felt it growing closer.

On the fifth day of travel, Édoras was at last in view. A host of elves was camped outside the city, awaiting the permission of Rohan's King to enter. As the Rohirrim cantered up to the elven host, Míril, Éomer, and the twins dismounted. Three elven leaders stood there, shining in the daylight.

"This is King Éomer of Rohan," Elladan smiled, introducing them. "Éomer, here is Elrond, Lord of Rivendell, Arwen, daughter of Elrond, Galadriel, Lady of Lothlorien, and Celeborn, Lord of Lothlorien."

Éomer looked upon them in wonder and bowed low. "My Lords and Ladies, welcome to Rohan. It is my pleasure to house you here for awhile."

Galadriel smiled as the four elves bowed in return. "Thank you, King Éomer of Rohan. Long have we been neighbors, but never met. It is a pity."

"Please, come inside Édoras," Éomer nodded. "There are rooms in Meduseld more fit for such leaders than tents out on our fields."

Elrond nodded. "Thank you, I at least accept your offer."

"I as well," Celeborn agreed, and Galadriel and Arwen followed suit.

As such, the three elven royals walked with Éomer and the half-elves up to the Golden Hall through the city. Míril remained silent, unsure of how to approach the Lord Elrond. Galadriel felt her hesitation and dropped back to walk with her.