Beware the Voice

It was later that day that the company of Rohan, Gandalf, and the remainder of the Fellowship met at the foot of Orthanc. Théoden, Aragorn, Miril, Gandalf, Gimli, and Éomer went up the steps for a closer look.

Gandalf knocked on the door with his staff.

A window above the door opened and a voice came out, shrill and sickly, "What do you want?"

"Curse that voice," Theoden muttered. For it was Gríma.

"Go fetch your master, Wormtongue. Tell him we wish to speak." Gandalf glared up at the man.

He disappeared and Gandalf turned to the company. He warned them again: beware the voice of Saruman.

"Welcome to Isengard. Two of you I know well," a sweet voice floated down and a man in white walked out to the rail.

In later days, few recalled exactly what had transpired there. Instead, only feelings remained. Confusion, too, as to who and what to believe.

"Gandalf I know too well, but great King Théoden, what may I help you with?"

Everyone was stunned silent, but Gandalf watched knowingly. He said nothing either, but noted that as Saruman continued speaking, the riders on their horses seemed to grow uneasy, and glanced at Gandalf with mistrust.

"Remember Théodred at the Fords, and Háma's grave at Helm's Deep," Éomer insisted as he shook himself out of his stupor.

The flash of anger across Saruman's face was plain to see, and his voice changed. "Speak of this like poison, do you? What could be said of you, Éomer son of Éomund!"

Miril stared up at Saruman in wonder. Truly this was a powerful wizard. The traitor seemed to notice her for the first time and sneered.

"You bring a woman to this parley? Why do you insult me so, Lord Théoden? Shall we not have peace?" Saruman's voice returned to its gentle pace.

Miril gripped her sword but Aragorn placed a hand on her to steady her from doing something foolish. All attention turned to Théoden, to see what he might say.

The King of Rohan spoke slowly. "We will have peace."

Cheers of glee went up from the riders. Théoden held his hand up.

"We will have peace when you are dead. For though I am a lesser man than my forefathers, I will not bow to you, you liar and traitor! Your voice has lost its charm!"

Saruman, now, was stunned silent. He was so full of wrath, that Miril almost stepped back, but she held her ground. Saruman looked about to strike.

"Fool! Dotard! The House of Eorl is but a pack of savages who sleep with their horses." Saruman hissed. "How dare you insult me."

"Saruman!" Gandalf laughed. "Ah me, you should've been a King's jester! But will you not come down. For you know all too well what happens to traitors of Mordor."

"Come down?" Saruman cried in hysterics, "Come down? Does an unarmed man go treat with robbers? Nay I will not come down!"

He left the window.

'I did not give you leave to go,' said Gandalf sternly. 'I have not finished. Stay then! But I warn you. you will not easily come out again. Not unless the dark hands of the East stretch out to take you. Saruman!' he cried, and his voice grew in power and authority. 'Behold, I am not Gandalf the Grey, whom you betrayed. I am Gandalf the White, who has returned from death. You have no colour now, and I cast you from the order and from the Council.'

He raised his hand, and spoke slowly in a clear cold voice. 'Saruman, your staff is broken.'

There was a crack, and the staff split asunder in Saruman's hand, and the head of it fell down at Gandalf's feet.

'Go!' said Gandalf.

With a cry Saruman fell back and crawled away. At that same moment, a large object came hurlting down from above. It rolled into the water near Pippin. He stooped and picked it up. It was a large, black sphere. He gazed at it. Gandalf, turning to face him, quickly took it and wrapped it away.

"Thank you, Pippin." Gandalf nodded and turned back. "Well then. Our work here is done. Come, let us move from this place."

Treebeard and a dozen other ents met them at the exit of Isengard. Merry rode behind Gandalf and Pippin behind Aragorn, but when they saw Treebeard they insisted upon saying goodbye.

"So you are the other companions, hmm?" Treebeard nodded slowly, looking at Aragorn, Miril, Legolas, and Gimli. "An elf, a dwarf, a man, and a half-elf. Strange indeed."

Treebeard said his farewell to Merry and Pippin and soon the riders went on. They needed to leave Isengard as quickly as possible. They rode on, deep into night fall. Finally they came to rest and set up camp.

Miril was glad of the break in riding, for she had done much for the last several days. She was perfectly happy to sit in the grass and rest. She took a large drink of fresh river water and sighed contentedly. Suddenly Aragorn was next to her.

"Drawing a weapon on a wizard is not smart," he chuckled. "Good thing I was there to stop you. You are far too rash."

Miril shrugged. "He needs to learn respect."

"True," Aragorn agreed. "But not from you."

Miril smirked. "No. From Galmegil."

Drawing her sword, she laughed. Aragorn smiled and shook his head.

"Defend yourself, Aragorn," she insisted.

He sighed dramatically and, with a smile, drew Anduril. The two swords clashed in the night, glittering in the torch light. Miril stepped left and swung at his torso, but Aragorn was ready. He retaliated with his own attemp but she managed to dodge that as well. She swung and he blocked, he swung and she blocked. The metal clashed over and over. Finally, panting, they broke apart.

"A good run," Aragorn nodded. "Maybe your best!"

She grinned. "I've had a good teacher, and plenty of practice."

Gandalf wandered over. "If you two are done, I think it's time for sleep. You're making a lot of noise."

They looked around and realized that people were trying to rest. They sheathed their swords and followed suit. It wasn't until late that night when they were awoken by the shrill cry of a hobbit. The entire camp sprung awake. Gandalf was interrogating Pippin who looked mortified. He was utterly terrified.

Gandalf walked over to Aragorn. "He has looked into the Palantir. I must get him to Minas Tirith."

"Agreed," Aragorn nodded. "Be swift, Mithrandir."

"Will he be alright?" Miril asked Aragorn as Gandalf mounted Shadowfax and Legolas handed him Pippin.

"He should be. But he is in great danger now. He strove with Sauron." Aragorn sighed. "We should get moving as well. This place is no longer safe."